10 Ways to Raise a Responsible Child
1) Establish family rules and be consistent about carrying out consequences for any rules that are not followed.
2) Give chores to do, appropriate to your child’s age.
3) Provide opportunities for choices. These could start with which bedtime story to hear or socks to wear.
4) Praise your child for completing their responsibilities.
5) Teach good health and safety habits. Children need to learn to care for themselves.
6) Make it your child’s responsibility to get all of their homework done on time.
7) Help your child get organized. Teach your child to keep all schoolwork in one place, write down assignments, and file papers.
8) Divide big jobs into smaller parts, so that success will encourage your child to tackle new responsibilities.
9) As your child matures, offer ways to earn, save, share and manage money.
10) Encourage concern for the feelings of other in your family and community.