Textbook Purchasing and Recycling
Textbook Purchasing and Recycling
The general procedures for purchasing and recycling textbooks for SPPS programs and schools are available below. Please expand the section you need for full details.
- Textbook Ordering Information
- Contact Information for Curriculum Questions
- Recycling Books and Textbooks
As soon as the materials are received, be sure to enter the receipt in PeopleSoft or the vendor won't get paid and may suspend shipments for the entire district. Please note that you should only enter the items received. Some orders may come in multiple shipments, and these receipts will need to be entered separately.
Contact the vendor directly for questions regarding returns, incorrect items ordered or received, missing items, over shipped items or expected shipment of backordered items.
Textbook Order Tips
- Include only one publisher and subject per requisition.
- Do not add shipping on the order, but be aware that shipping costs are generally 10% of the total, which will be charged against your budget.
- If you have an attachment to the requisition, scan the attachment and attach it in eProcurement.
See the purchasing Quick Reference Guides (QRGs) for specific steps of the requisition process.
Contact the following staff according to subject area for questions regarding curriculum and adopted instructional materials.
Career & Technical Education - Kathy Kittel - Kathy.firstname.lastname@example.org - 651-744-1312
Health & Physical Education - Terri Lahr - Terri.email@example.com - 651-744-1358
Literacy - Teajai Anderson-Schmidt - Teajai.firstname.lastname@example.org - 651-744-1307
Math - Kathleen Wilson - Kathleen.email@example.com - 651-744-1304
Science - Marty Davis - Marshall.firstname.lastname@example.org - 651-744-1313
Social Studies - Rebecca Biel - Rebecca.email@example.com - 651-744-1343
Talented Development & Accelerated Services - Darlene Fry - Darlene.firstname.lastname@example.org - 651-744-1308
Visual & Performing Arts - Jan Spencer de Gutierrez - Jan.email@example.com - 651-744-1302
World Languages - Beatriz de Santiago-Fjelstad - Beatris.firstname.lastname@example.org - 651-767-8360
Book and Textbook Recycling Information and Guidelines
For book and textbook recycling, please use the following guidelines for the separating, boxing and labeling of these items.
Separate Recycle Items:
- Hardcover books and hardcover books that have a spiral spine (either plastic or metal) can be boxed together.
- Soft cover books are to be boxed by themselves.
- Soft cover books that have a spiral spine (either metal or plastic) are to be boxed by themselves. They can also be put in regular paper and cardboard recycling carts.
- Multimedia kits need to be broken down as many items are not recyclable.
- 3-ring binders are not recyclable and should be reused whenever possible. Remove and recycle papers inside binders.
- CDs, VHS tapes and transparencies are not recyclable and should be disposed of properly.
Label Recycle Item Boxes:
- Boxed items for recycling need to be labeled properly. A correctly labeled box will have the word “recycle” on it as well as a description of what is inside the box. For example, a box of hardcover books for recycling would have “recycle” and “hardcover books” on the outside of the box.
- Boxes used to recycle books should be no larger than a box of copier paper. The rule of thumb to use is that “if you can’t lift the box, neither can we.”
- The recycling label information should be on the right corner of the box, whether it is the top, side or end of the box. The recycling label information can be printed on label stock, paper stock or handwritten directly on the box.
Schedule a Pickup of Books for Recycling:
- Contact the Energy and Sustainability Coordinator to schedule a pickup of boxed books recycling. Depending on the volume or number of books to be picked up, the storehouse or grounds will be assigned to do the pickup.
- Take books that are boxed and labeled for recycling to your school’s dock pickup area. The pickup will be made, usually based upon the Storehouse schedule.
- If the coordinator is not available, contact the Storehouse to schedule the recycling pickup.