Types of Volunteer Opportunities
While all volunteer requests are appreciated, not all requests can be accepted. The following outlines the activities that can be considered for volunteer opportunities:
- Site-based beautification activities, such as flower planting and gardening.
- Assembly of approved manufactured furniture.
- Joint efforts led by organizations with previous experience working on public-sector projects and have the necessary supervision and liability coverage.
- Location selection and preparations are guided by Facilities Department staff.
- All exterior murals are subject to City of Saint Paul ordinances and are to be constructed with removable panels.
- All interior murals must have walls prepped by Facilities Department staff and paint selection must be consistent with District standards.
- General painting:
- The proposed project must be approved by Facilities Dept.
- Walls must be prepped by Facilities Dept. and paint selection must be consistent with District standards.
Resources and Supplies
In support of volunteer efforts, the Facilities Department will supply the following:
- Limited landscaping supplies, such as mulch and black dirt
- Technical experience and plan review
- Painting preparation
- Limited project management
For the sake of creating safe environments, the following work must be handled exclusively by professionals:
- Any work requiring a Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul such as electrical, mechanical or plumbing.
- Any work requiring a City of Saint Paul Building Permit.
- Any work requiring permanent mechanical connections to a building.
- Any work that has significant potential for harm if it fails or is done incorrectly.