Skip To Main Content

Toggle Close Container

Triggers Container

Toggle Schools Canvas

Toggle Site Info Canvas

Mobile Translate

Mobile Main Nav

Mobile Utility

Header Holder

Header Right Column

Header Right Top

Toggle Schools Canvas

Toggle Site Info Canvas


Utility Nav - Desktop

Header Right Bottom

Canvas Menus

District Canvas Menu


school & Program

Site Info Canvas


Get in Touch with

contact us

Saint Paul Public Schools, District 625
360 Colborne Street
Saint Paul


Get In Touch Navigation

Search Canvas

Horizontal Nav


Hiring a Consultant

There are distinct differences in how employees are handled compared to independent contractors. Classification of independent contractor or employee is not a choice made by the hiring party, nor is it a choice that the worker can simply decide how he or she wants to be paid. It is a determination based on multiple factors set at both the federal and state level. 

An IC vs EE form must be completed by the hiring party (supervisor) of a worker if that worker or supervisor is expecting the worker to be classified as an independent contractor.

Human Resources will make the final determination of whether or not the worker should be classified as an employee or an independent contractor. Employees are paid through the payroll system. Independent contractors are paid through the accounts payable system.

Use the attached help sheet to review the differences between independent contractors and employees and to understand the steps in determining the independent contractor or employee status of a worker. 

For employees:  Saint Paul Public Schools is required by law to obtain certain information from employees, including an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form (for all employees) and a Criminal Background Check authorization (for certain jobs/positions only). In addition, employees have key benefits and protections which are not available to independent contractors, like FICA & Medicare contributions, Public Employees Retirement Association contributions (for qualifying positions), and coverage under workers compensation.

For independent contractors:  Saint Paul Public Schools is required by law to obtain a W-9 Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form from independent contractors.  In addition, a written contract for the services must be in place prior to any work done or services provided. Connect with the Purchasing Dept for valid contract templates.

Hiring A Consultant Help Sheet

The Differences Between an IC or EE

IC vs EE Flow Chart

IC vs EE Determination Form  - This MUST be completed and attached to requisition if paying through accounts payable.