Announcements & Upcoming Meetings
SPECIAL CLOSED MEETING SCHEDULED FOR MAY 16, 2022 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
STATEMENT FROM THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
At the April 12, 2022 Committee of the Board Meeting, the Board of Education voted 6-1 to adopt a Saint Paul Public Schools resolution regarding the use of masks in all SPPS settings. This resolution takes effect April 18 and shifts the use of masks in SPPS from mandatory to optional based on new CDC guidelines provided back on February 25, 2022.Since early March, the Board of Education has engaged in four public meetings and two votes regarding this shift in mask usage. The Board has listened to the voices of community members who favor continuing mandatory masking and those community members who favor optional masking. The board’s vote to make masks optional at this point is a sensible approach to ensure that those who choose to wear a mask can continue to wear them while others can make a different choice when community levels are low or medium, based on the CDC framework. In addition, the board-approved resolution also outlines a process to shift to mandatory masking if and when community levels, based on the same CDC framework, should return to high.
The Board of Education understands that Covid-19 is not over, but evolving, and will continue to monitor its impact on SPPS. As we move forward we will continue to listen to public health experts and our SPPS community and use what we learn to make decisions that prioritize the well-being of our students.
We acknowledge that this transition may be greeted with a mix of joy and worry. Our SPPS community has been through a lot these last two years and through it all we have cared for and supported one another. It is important to the Board of Education that when we need to cross another bridge on our path through Covid-19, that we all do so together.UPCOMING MEETINGS
- Committee of the Board | Tuesday, May 10, 2022
- Regular Meeting | Tuesday, May 24, 2022
PUBLIC COMMENT UPDATE
Beginning with the June 22, 2021 Public Comment session which will begin at 5:30 p.m. prior to the start of the Regular Meeting, Public Comment will be conducted in-person at 360 Colborne, and follow the same process as before the pandemic. More details can be found here.
Please find Notices of Meetings here.
- Notice of Series of Special Closed Board Meetings re: Expulsion
- Notice of Revision of Notice of Special Meeting on May 2, 2022
- Notice of Special Meeting re: Board Retreat
- Notice of Series of Special Closed Board Meetings re: Labor Negotiations
- Notice of Special (Closed) Meeting re: Litigation on April 12, 2022
- Notice of Change of Meeting Dates
- Notice of Revision to Proposed Agenda Items for Saturday, March 5, 2022 Special Meeting
- Notice of Series of Special Closed Board Meetings re: Labor Negotiations - March 4-11, 2022
- Notice of Special (Closed) Meeting re: Litigation on February 8, 2022
- Notice of Series of Special Closed Board Meetings re: Labor Negotiations - UPDATE
- Notice of Time Change for January 4, 2022 Annual Meeting
The Saint Paul Board of Education
2022 BOARD OF EDUCATION
Jim Vue | Jessica Kopp | Chauntyll Allen | Uriah Ward
Jeanelle Foster | Halla Henderson | Zuki Ellis
The Saint Paul Board of Education, or school board, is responsible for the care, management and control of the school district. The School Board is comprised of seven citizens of Saint Paul who are elected at-large in the district.