STUDENT SUPPORTSaint Paul Public Schools provides educational support for a variety of needs:
Traditional Schools > Non-Traditional Schools > Specialty Services and Programs
Promoting Positive Behavior
School behavior teams and specialists teach and support students to make positive choices through Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS).Most students require one reminder to correct their behavior.Some students benefit with small group support by a counselor, social worker, or principal to address the reason for their behavior.A few students may need additional support to adjust to school, such as individualized behavior plans, alternatives to suspension, alternatives to expulsion and/or behavior contracts.Serious situations require suspension and, in some cases, expulsion.
- Increase supervision of students during arrival/dismissal, lunch and in the hallways during passing times.
- Ensure the consistent implementation of PBIS throughout the district.
- Promote restorative practices through PBIS to give students and adults a chance to repair relationships harmed through inappropriate student behavior.
Alternative schools and programs offer support in the areas of mental health, emotional and behavioral issues, in addition to academics.
NEXT STEPS:Increase alternative programs and provide students with access to community services that focus on:
- social/emotional support.
- student engagement
Community Based Programs
SPPS works with community-based agencies to provide a support system of services that extend beyond the classroom.
- Create evaluation tools to determine effectiveness of programs.
- Help schools identify community partners that meet a specific need.
- Increase the number of quality services for our students.