School Climate & Support Overview
Saint Paul Public Schools recognizes the importance of supporting the improvement of school climate and increasing supports to students and staff across the district. School climate is vital for SPPS to provide a premier education for all.
The Department of School Climate and Support (DSCS) is working, in partnership with stakeholders, to improve learning environments for all members of the SPPS community. Through the alignment of existing supports, increased community partnerships and defined evidence-based practices, we are striving for a safe and welcoming environment for all.
By demonstrating honesty, trust, and loyalty in how we interact with one another, DSCS will build reciprocal support and accountability for developing positive school climate where accelerating students’ learning, eliminating the racialized achievement gap and meeting professional and personal goals is essential.
Existing supports include:
- Standardization of Student Assistance Teams
- Positive Behavior Intervention & Supports
- Trauma Informed Schools Work
- Student Support Staff (Counselors, Social Workers, Nurses, Psychologists)
- School Based Mental Health Services
- Evidence Based Practices for Social Emotional Learning
The DSCS will use research based practices and data based on the Programmatic Cycle, which includes:
- Needs Assessment
- Set targets/goals
- Develop Program
- Implement with Fidelity
- Program Evaluation
A School with Positive Climate is ...
A place where everyone can thrive:
- All voices are heard
- Experience positive relationships
- Mistakes are an opportunity for growth
- We do not feel invisible
- Everyone feels safe and respected
- We honor power with, not power over
--Presented at the May 2016 Board of Education meeting by members of the St. Paul Public Schools' Student Engagement and Advancement Board (SEAB)
Together, we can strengthen safety in our schools through a network of relationships, services, organizations and community members. Safe schools start with you!
- Safe Schools, Safe You
- VIEW THE JANUARY 2017 BOARD PRESENTATION
- VIEW THE SEPTEMBER 2017 BOARD PRESENTATION
- SCHOOL CLIMATE: MISSION, VISION