Our Early Childhood Screening office is offering:
-In-person screening (by appointment only)
Please contact our office for more information at either 651-632-3746 or ECScreening@spps.org.
Early Childhood Screening (ECS) is a program that helps you see how your child is developing before they enter Kindergarten. ECS also helps find potential health and developmental concerns that may cause barriers to your child’s learning. ECS connects you and your child to programs and resource to support healthy growth and development.
Is there a fee? ECS is FREE to all children ages 3, 4, and 5-year olds.
Who is required to be screened?
ECS is required by Minnesota law for all children before entering Kindgarten.
ECS may not be required if your child participates or had participated in the following:
- Head Start
- Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
- Or, if you are a conscientious objector to screening. You will need to provide a written statement to Saint Paul Public Schools that documents your conscientious objector status.
Please contact our office for more information.
Why screen at 3?
- To see how your child is growing and developing
- More time to provide support if there are concerns
- Connect you and your child to early education programs and resources
- Get it all done and out of the way before Kindergarten
What is the process?
Call our office at 651-632-3746 to request a virtual screening or make an in-person screening appointment for your child. Or if you prefer, email our office at ECScreening@spps.org.
A packet and questionnaire will be sent to you to complete and return to our office. The packet must be completed prior to the appointment if your child has an in-person screening appointment scheduled.
On the day of the appointment:
- Bring your child
- Bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport and immunization record
- Plan for at least an hour for the screening
- You may accompany your child throughout the screening
- Your child will be screened in each of the areas below:
- All results and your child’s health history and immunization will be reviewed at the end of the screening.
If Saint Paul Public Schools are closed due to weather or unforeseen circumstances, your appointment is automatically canceled. ECS staff will contact you accordingly to notify you of the cancellation and reschedule for another day and time.