Immersion Programs in Saint Paul Public Schools
The goal of the Dual Language/Immersion Programs is for students to become bilingual, biliterate and bicultural. The first language immersion program at SPPS began in:
- 1986 – Adams Spanish Immersion, followed by
- 1996 – French Immersion;
- 2002 – Hmong Dual Language;
- 2011 – Chinese Mandarin Immersion
- 2016 – German Immersion- secondary level
These programs take advantage of the natural talent of young children to learn languages, benefitting the student in ways beyond the gift of acquiring a second or third language. Any student may enroll in these programs. However, in one-way programs, students must have grade-level language proficiency to enter after second grade.
One-way immersion sites - elementary
One-way immersion programs were established for students proficient in English whose families wanted them to learn another language.
- Adams Spanish Immersion (Spanish)
- Jié Míng Mandarin Academy (杰明) (Mandarin)
- L’Etoile du Nord French Immersion (French)
Two-way or dual language sites - elementary:
Two-way dual language programs serve students of both English learner & partner language groups in the same classroom. Both languages are used for academic instruction.
- Phalen Lake Hmong Studies (Hmong)
- Riverview West Side School of Excellence (Spanish)
- Wellstone Elementary (Spanish)