Learning at Home
At Bruce Vento, we know our students learn all day long. The following information can be used to help extend your child's learning and maximize their academic growth.
At Bruce Vento Elementary, we educate every child without exception and without excuse to standard or above in reading, writing, math, and science in preparation for college.
To support our students’ achievement, we assign homework that extends their learning. We believe the family is the child’s first teacher and value the connection between home and school.
- Read five days a week minimum
- Read Just-Right books
- Each student will create their own reading minutes goal
- Have a discussion about the reading
- Use the calendar to record how many minutes were read each night
- Have a parent or guardian sign the calendar weekly
- Writing homework is assigned Mondays and Wednesdays
- Students may use the prompts or freewrite
- Use the rubric on each page to make sure the writing is high quality
- There are additional writing resources included
- Teachers will assign math homework on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Here are some websites your children can use at home too!
TumbleBooks - Picture books and chapter books available online at different levels. Picture books are read aloud with animation. Some games are available. Username is 'spps' and password is 'media'.
FrontRow - Uses placement tests to level the texts and comprehension questions. Available as an iPad app. There is limited access as a guest and with a free account.
IXL - Reading and writing skills through comprehension questions. Limited access as a guest. There is an app available.
Unite for Literacy - Low level texts read aloud in different languages (currently missing Hmong Language).
PebbleGo - Nonfiction texts with a read aloud option. Approximately level E and up. The username is 'spps' and the password is 'media'.
eBooks MN - Free eBooks for all Minnesotans ranging from children's to adult fiction and non-fiction.
Time for Kids - Journalism for children. Limited access w/o an account.
NatGeo Kids - Information on the world for children. Limited access w/o an account.
Newsela - Leveled news articles with comprehension questions. Geared towards intermediate students. A free account allows for some teacher monitoring of data and assigning of articles.