Senior Class News and Information
Graduation will be on Monday, June 12, 2023 at 5:30 pm at Roy Wilkins Auditorium
Graduation practice will be held that morning at Roy Wilkins - Time TBD
Each student will receive 8 tickets to graduation
Caps and Gowns will be distributed on Thursday, June 8th in the Auditorium at Highland
Tuesday, June 6th -- Senior Checkout & Yearbook Pickup 9 A.M, Auditorium
Settle all obligations (take care of this as soon as possible in the library); complete senior survey, pick up cap and gown; and receive graduation tickets for guests.
Wednesday, June 7 - Seniors to Valleyfair - Bus leaves HP at 9AM and returns to HP at 6PM.
Thursday, June 8 – Senior Send-off, 10:10 AM in the Gym
Senior farewell assembly. Senior pancake breakfast before the sendoff (in the field house) and senior picnic after the sendoff on the football field.
Monday, June 12-GRADUATION!!!
Graduation Rehearsal at Roy Wilkins Auditorium - Required - 10:00 AM until about 11:30 AM
(provide own transportation) http://www.theroy.org/getting-here/directions
Graduation 5:30 P.M. Roy Wilkins Auditorium (All graduates must arrive by 4:45 P.M.) Ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes
All-Night Party - Highland Park Senior High
(visit https://hpgradparty.weebly.com for more information, purchase tickets, and sign-up for volunteer shifts)
Graduation Code of conduct
Graduation is a very important event in the lives of graduates and their families and friends. This is a formal occasion and proper behavior is expected before, during, and after the rehearsal, or ceremony. Please read and follow the conduct guidelines below. Violation of this code of conduct will result in you not participating in the graduation ceremony.
* Be on time for rehearsal (time TBD) and the ceremony (4:45 P.M.).
* No chemical use on school grounds, including Roy Wilkins Auditorium, before, during, and after the rehearsal, ceremony, and all-night party. This includes alcohol, cigarettes, vaping and other drugs.
* No decorations on the mortarboard (cap) – it will be taken before you enter the ceremony.
* No outside decorations on the gown - only honors cords. Immersion cords, and IB Medals may be worn outside the gown. Identity Adornments may be worn, but must be pre-approved and tagged by the Senior Class Advisor (details below)
* Do not wear or carry flowers. Native American students who have received an eagle feather as part of a special ceremony will be allowed to carry the eagle feather.
* No cameras or recording devices on the floor of Roy Wilkins Auditorium. Please leave your cell phones at home or turn them off during the ceremony.
* No showboating, yelling, or dramatization before, during, or after rehearsal and the ceremony. Remember, this is a dignified occasion, which you have earned. Your appropriate behavior enhances everyone’s experience.
Graduation rehearsal is mandatory. You must attend rehearsal and be on time to participate in the graduation ceremony. Attendance will be taken. Please be at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium at the Fifth Street entrance on the morning of graduation. Time is currently TBD - this will be updated as soon as we know it. Please be prompt. Rehearsal will take approximately 1½ to 2 hours. You must provide your own transportation. http://www.theroy.org/getting-here/directions (you do not wear cap and gown to the rehearsal)
Graduation Tickets and Ceremony
When you receive your cap and gown on June 2nd, each graduate will receive eight (8) tickets for the ceremony. These tickets will be collected at the doors at the graduation ceremony. Guests requiring a handicap accessible entrance and seating may use the Fifth Street entrance. There is limited seating for handicapped guests on the main floor. Only one family member will be allowed to sit with the person requiring special arrangements.
Graduates must report to Roy Wilkins Auditorium at the Fifth Street entrance and be inside the waiting area by 4:45 P.M. We will begin lining up the graduates at 4:45 in preparation for the procession. Only graduates will be allowed in this area. Please take all pictures before you arrive at Roy Wilkins Auditorium or after the ceremony. Please be courteous.
Each graduate will receive 8 tickets to graduation. They are a standard box office ticket from Roy Wilkins. There are 8 tickets printed for each graduate. We will work to facilitate redistribution of unused tickets through a return/request form. If you are not going to need 8 tickets, we can redistribute to students who may need more than 8. Students who might need more than 8 are welcome to request up to two more tickets. These requests are not guaranteed, as they are filled with tickets that are returned from other students. If you have tickets that will go unused or if you want to request another ticket or two, this form will open on Friday, May 12th after the senior meeting: https://forms.gle/bbWtzioPmn2Q1SAG7
Graduation will be livestreamed – go to www.spps.org/graduations and click on the Highland link.
The gowns are single-use gowns and you will be able to keep them. When you receive your cap and gown there will be instructions for their care. Hang them up on a hanger to assist with the removal of wrinkles. Do not add any decorations to the cap or gown. Honors cords and IB medals may be worn on the outside of the gown. Any caps with decorations on them will be confiscated prior to the ceremony. Your tassel should be worn on the left side. This is a dignified ceremony. Please be respectful of your classmates and Highland Park Senior High. Remember to take all pictures before you arrive at Roy Wilkins or after the ceremony.
Identity Adornments: If the graduating senior would like to wear an adornment which reflects their identity, they may do so. Details are found at this link (https://forms.gle/GdWppedpbHzcUJSN6) Identity Adornments must be approved prior to the graduation ceremony. Two things must be completed:
- Fill out this google form, including the picture of yourself wearing the adornment.
- Bring the adornment by Ms. Hedwall’s room (3207) no later than Thursday, June 2nd for it to be tagged as approved. If the approval tag is not on there at the ceremony, the identity adornment may be taken until after the ceremony is completed. Appropriate times include before school, after school and during advisory.
Due to the early start time for graduation, traffic may be heavy and parking limited. Please leave extra early to ensure that you are at Roy Wilkins Auditorium by 4:45 P.M. The River Centre and Science Museum parking ramps are easily accessible from the lower entrance off of Shepherd Road and Chestnut Street. Graduates are to enter Roy Wilkins Auditorium from the Fifth Street entrance. Parents and guests must use the other entrances and will be seated in the balcony. Remember, the ceremony is scheduled to begin at 5:30 P.M. and graduates must be backstage by 4:45 P.M. If you are late, you will not be able to participate in the ceremony. Please be prompt.
If you have any further questions, please stop Ms. Hedwall’s room (3207), call (651)744-3881, or e-mail (email@example.com) Finally, take time to enjoy the last few weeks of high school!