About Murray Middle School
Murray Vision Statement
Murray Middle School students are challenged and inspired to reach their full potential in preparation for success in high school and beyond.
Murray Mission Statement:
- Our students thrive in a safe, supportive, caring, fun, and diverse learning environment.
- We set high expectations for academic achievement through rigorous coursework, standards-based instruction, and support programs.
- We strive for continuous improvement through effective professional development.
- We teach and model responsibility, respect, and integrity.
- We support the academic, emotional, social, and physical development of each unique child.
- We build and strengthen relationships among students, staff, families, and community.
Our school, originally in built in 1925, is a place where students in grades 6-8 can really take off. A focus on science and the environment is enhanced by a close partnership with Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center. Murray produces the largest one-day science fair in Minnesota. Accelerated classes offer high school credit in science, geometry, Spanish and French, and enrichment classes range from instrumental music (band and orchestra) and theater to engineering. Students can develop interests and master skills with nearly 25 after-school classes in academics, arts, athletics and technology – all in a nurturing environment that understands middle school kids, easing their academic and life transitions.
Murray offers a full range of academically rigorous coursework. The math program includes pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, and the University of Minnesota Talented Youth Mathematics Program. Our unique magnet science program offers advanced courses (Magnet I and II) with hands-on laboratory experiences in life, earth and physical science. Challenge-level courses in English and social studies prepare students for college preparatory coursework in high school; including International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Placement (AP), Quest, Post-Secondary Enrollment Options, and other accelerated programs.
Murray also offers a full range of rigorous general education and elective classes. These include beginning, varsity and concert bands; orchestra, chorus, percussion, music, art, ceramics, health, physical education, focus on fitness, Spanish and French, AVID, ELL, drama, cultural studies, computer, careers, journalism, mythology, creative writing and special education coursework.
Murray continually demonstrates Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) as measured by the statewide MCA II standardized tests. The school has earned the Superintendent's Award for Continuous School Improvement each year since 2001. Recently, MJHS, was recognized by the St. Paul School Board as the only secondary "Beating the Odds" school for steadily closing the achievement gap between student groups.
The school is located in the Saint Anthony Park community in Saint Paul, MN and enjoys a unique neighborhood setting where citizens are involved and interested in the school and its activities.
- MJHS hosts Minnesota's largest junior high school Science Fair and sends numerous students to regional and state science competitions.
- Students also receive academic monitoring and mentoring during Advisory as well as participating in the St. Paul Reads Volumes reading initiative.
- Special activities for students include: Yearbook, Science Club, Computer Club, Fresh Force, French Club, Spanish and French Language Camps, Honor Society, Wolf Ridge Environmental Leadership Retreat, Lego Robotics, History Day, Musical and Theater Production.
- The Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program enrolls students in high-level coursework with tutorials to prepare them for college.
Murray At A Glance
- Grade Levels: 6-8
- Enrollment: 843
- School Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Students Who Identify As:
- American Indian 1.3%
- Asian American 17%
- African American 35.3%
- Hispanic American 8.5%
- Caucasian American 37.8%
Students Who Qualify For:
- Special Education 16.5%
- Free and Reduced Lunch 58.5%
- English Language Learning 14.7%
2012 MCA II Student Proficiency:
- Grade 7 reading test 47%
- Grade 7 math test 49%
- Grade 8 reading test 40%
- Grade 8 math test 46%
Period 1: 8:30a.m. - 9:18a.m.
Period 2: 9:22a.m. - 10:09a.m.
Period 3: 10:13a.m. - 11:00a.m.
Period 4: 11:04a.m. - 12:24p.m.
Lunch 1 11:04-11:29 a.m.
Lunch 2 11:32-11:57 a.m.
Lunch 3 12:00-12:25 p.m.
Period 5: 12:29p.m. - 1:17p.m.
Period 6: 1:21p.m. - 2:08p.m.
Period 7: 2:12p.m. - 3:00p.m.