SPPS Serves Free Summer Meals to Students

  • Summer meals

    Posted by Saint Paul Public Schools on May 25, 2017

    Kids eat free in the summertime thanks to the summer meal program. Once again, Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) will provide meals at no cost to children 18 years old and younger. It also serves those who are 19 years old and older, have a mental or physical disability and who participate in a public or private nonprofit school program for the mentally or physically disabled.

    The Summer Food Service Program begins Tuesday, June 13 and runs through Friday, August 25, 2017. Meals will be available at more than 60 locations throughout the city, including community sites, park and recreation centers, and schools. Depending on each site’s hours of operation, meals may include breakfast, lunch, supper, or snack.

    For a list of participating sites and meal service times, please visit www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks or spps.org/ns. Families and children can also call the United Way 2-1-1 information line (651-291-0211) or text their location to 612-516-FOOD to find meals nearby. Call 1-866-3-HUNGRY or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (for Spanish speakers) to find a site for free, nutritious summer meals near you.

    Summer Food Service is a federal program that helps ensure children in low-income areas continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. Saint Paul Public Schools has been a local sponsor for more than 25 years, providing over 375,000 meals to students each summer.

    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

    USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.