D2: Disrupting Systems of Oppression, Developing Student Leaders
D2 is a student leadership groups based around racial and social equity; D2 is an acronym that stands for Disrupting systems of oppression, Developing student leaders. Harding's D2 program is focused on using student voice and student interest to create a more equitable environment, not only at Harding, but in the larger community as well.
The Harding program in beginning it's 6th year and consists of three, grade level advisories in which students meet three times a week for 20 minutes in addition to quarterly mini retreats, large field trip retreats and many other leadership opportunities that arise within the school, distirct, commmunity and greater Twin Cities area. In the past, our students have done things like:
- Participated in simulations: Underground Railroad and Hmong Odyssey
- Attended the Dare 2 Be REAL Youth Summit
- Created and presented professional development for staff on several occasions
- Attended RACE Exhibit at the Science Museum and a full-day retreat centered on its content.
- Organized Hijab Day
- Created breakout sessions for the D2BR Youth Summit and Racial Justice Day at South High School and Washburn High School in Minneapolis
- Led application and interview process for prospective D2BR students