Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Xiong has taught first grade for many years. This is her first year at Dayton’s Bluff in Kindergarten. Ms. Xiong did her undergraduate work at Concordia University and attained a Master’s Degree in Elementary Reading and Literacy from Walden University.
Outside of school, Ms. Xiong loves to cook, gardening, and spend time with her family. She enjoys writing and listening to music.
Teaching has always been a great passion of hers. Ms. Xiong loves to watch the growth and curiosity in children as they learn and accomplish new knowledge and skills. She enjoys guiding and helping young children to become readers, writers, and mathematicians.
Kindergarten literacy includes Skills, Writer’s Workshop, and Reader’s Workshop.
- Kindergarten classrooms use the Mondo phonics program to learn letter names and sounds
- Students learn to tell and draw their stories, write pattern books, personal narrative, expert books, poetry, and how-to books
- Students practice reading as a whole class, read books at their levels independently or with a partner
- Students learn to become strong readers by mastering foundational skills in print concepts, phonological awareness, phonics/word recognition, and fluency
Reading Apps and Websites:
Kindergartens work on the following mathematical skills and concepts:
- Read, write, and represent whole numbers up to 31 using numerals, pictures, real objects, picture graphs, spoken words, manipulative, and tally marks
- Count forward and backward with objects and without objects
- Recognize, identify, create, complete, and extend patterns
- Recognize and sort basic two and three dimensional shapes
- Compare and order objects according to location and measurable attributes
7:30-7:55 Ease in to the Day
7:55-8:10 Morning Meeting
8:10 -10:35 Literacy and Small Group
11:35-11:55 Structured Play
11:55 -12:15 Lunch
1:45-2:00 Regroup and Transition Home