School Social Work at Jie Ming
School Social Workers Help Students to:
- Improve interpersonal relationships.
- Cope with difficult and crisis situations.
- Develop self-esteem and self-discipline.
- Learn problem solving, conflict resolution and decision-making skills.
- Remove barriers to academic success.
School Social Workers Help Staff With:
- Developing and implementing plans to enhance students’ school success.
- Providing ongoing emotional and behavioral support to students.
- Communicating information about how factors such as family, culture, socioeconomic status, physical and mental health can affect students’ performance.
- Coordinating community resources to meet students’ needs.
- Identifying and eliminating barriers to educational success.
School Social Workers are the Link Between Home, School, and Community:
- Accessment of student needs through observation, interviews, and testing.
- Individual and group therapeutic services.
- Crisis prevention and intervention.
- Working with students in both general education and special education settings.
- Advocacy for students, parents and the school district.
- Education and training for parents and guardians.
- Collaboration and consultations with community agencies,organizations and other professionals.
Social Worker: Dena Wheeler