Health Start Clinic
The Como Park Health Start Clinic is currently offering both in-person and virtual care options for students. Please call 651-412-8445 to schedule.
Telehealth services are also available: spps.org/Page/38688
Health Start is part of Minnesota Community Care, a private, nonprofit community clinic. We operate multi-service health clinics at 9 public high schools in Saint Paul. Health Start serves over 3,000 students per year during more than 17,000 visits.
Adolescence is the age group most likely to be uninsured and least likely to make clinic visits. Barriers include not knowing where to go, a need for confidentiality, lack of transportation and affordable services, embarrassment, and fear of what health care providers might say or do. Health Start clinics are accessible, affordable, teen-friendly, and non-judgmental.
Services are provided during the school day and after school by teams that include a health care provider, licensed independent clinical social workers, registered dietitians, health educators, and in four sites, a certified fitness trainer. Services include:
- Medical Care: Physical/sports exams, immunizations, lab services, and asthma care. Reproductive care includes testing and treatment for STDs, birth control, and pregnancy testing.
- Nutrition Counseling and Medical Nutrition Therapy includes services for weight loss, reduction of cardiovascular and diabetes risk, anemia, eating disorders, and food scarcity.
- Social Work Counseling & Therapy includes assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders and mental health issues such as bereavement, homelessness, violence, substance abuse, relationship problems, pregnancy, sexual abuse, and anxiety.
- Health Education: Includes individual, small group, classroom and peer education on topics such as smoking cessation, sexual health, stress management, and insurance resources.
Parent consent is needed for students under age 18 for all but a few services described in minor consent law. Each year, parents receive information about clinic services and consent forms.
Paying for Services
- No charge to students or their families.
- Insurance billed when we can do so without violating confidentiality.
The Health Start Clinic is located next to the School Nurse’s Office.
Christine Chitambar, CNP
Mental Health Providers:
Amy Froiland-Parada, LICSW
Marie Thompson, LMFT
Jade Burt, M.Ed.
Katie Meaux, MS, RD, LDN
Fitness Team Trainer: