Degrees and Certifications:
BA in Psychology, Wheaton College BA in Elementary Education, Wheaton College MEd in Special Education, University of MN
I'm thrilled to be teaching Kindergarten at Global Arts Plus! I just began my 34th year of teaching (Kindergarten and 1st grade) and am proud to have served Saint Paul Public School students and families for my entire career!
I love the energy and enthusiam Kindergartners bring to school each day and I look forward to working with great students and families every year!
I earned my Master's Degree in Special Education at the University of Minnesota, and prior to that I received a BA in both Elementary Education and Psychology at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois.
In addition to teaching, I enjoy going to see concerts, plays and musicals, cheering for the Minnesota Lynx and the Minnesota Vikings and traveling with my husband, Max.
September 20: School Picture day! Watch your child's backpack and folder for more information!
September 5: First Day of Kindergarten!
September 3 & 4: Kindergarten Conferences Please be watching your mailbox for a letter to let you know when your child's conference has been scheduled. Kindergarten conferences are a time when your child's teacher gets to know about your child and your family and you get to know about Kindergarten and your child's teacher!
August 29: Back to School Meet & Greet Stop by sometime between 5:30-7:00pm to see your Kindergarten classroom, meet your teacher and your Kindergarten classmates!
Our classroom is a Responsive Classroom!
The Responsive Classroom is an approach to elementary teaching that emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe community. The goal is to enable optimal student learning. Created by classroom teachers and backed by evidence independent research, the Responsive Classroom approach is based on the premise that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. The approach therefore consists of classroom and school-wide practices for deliberately helping children build academic and social-emotional competencies.
Guiding Principles for Responsive Classroom:
Seven principles, informed by the work of educational theorists and the experiences of exemplary classroom teachers, guide the Responsive Classroom approach:
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what children learn.
- The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- There is a set of social skills that children need to be successful academically and socially. These skills form the simple acronym CARES – cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control
- Knowing the children we teach is as important as knowing the content we teach.
- Knowing the parents of the children we teach is as important as knowing the children.
- Teachers and administrators must model the social and academic skills they wish to teach their children.
Behavior Plan for a Responsive Classroom:
There might be times where the students lose their self-control and need to take a break. Here are the steps that we will go through when this happens in our room when a student loses their self -control.
1. Take a break and once student gains self -control they can decide to come back and join the group when they are ready.
2. Take a break and teacher decides when to invite the child back to the group
3. The child needs to gain their self -control by leaving our classroom and go to a buddy room.
We will all have a chance to model and practice taking a break and using a buddy room at the beginning of the year. Make sure to read our weekly newsletter to hear all about the Responsive Classroom games, greetings, learning, and much more we will be doing throughout the school year!
(description of Responsive Classroom written by Mrs. Stacy Cruz!)
Students will also have an opportunity to earn a "Great Behavior Award" each week to let him/her celebrate great behavior!
9:45-10:10 Morning Meeting
10:10-11:40 Literacy Block
12:10-12:30 Read Aloud
12:30-1:20 Arts Specialists
Music, Art, Dance/Drama
1:30- 2:00 Recess
2:00-3:20 Math Block and Snack
3:20-3:40 Read Aloud
3:40-4:00 Closing Activities
Phy Ed Mondays 10:25-10:55