Department of Alternative Education
Providing focused, alternative daytime, extended day, and summer learning opportunities to support student achievement leading to graduation.
The Department of Alternative Education (DAE) leads SPPS alternative education programs year-round. We offer 25+ different programs, including three high schools, for Grades K-12 students. Our non-traditional programs serve students using innovative methods such as experiential, hands-on and project-based learning. All programs support academic and social-emotional growth. Community partnerships, leading-edge use of technology, and collaboration with other alternative education leaders nationwide ensure SPPS students experience the best school year daytime, after-school and summer opportunities. All programs are FREE, and include snacks/meals, and transportation (per SPPS transportation guidelines and availability of bus drivers).
School Year Programs
- Gateway to College (Ages 16-21)
- Gordon Parks High School (11-12)
- LEAP High School (Grade 9-Age 20)
Daytime Middle School Support Class
- On Track (6-8)
After School Programs
- Extended Day for Learning (EDL) (K-12)
- Extended Day for Learning Plus (EDL+) (K-5)
- EDL/Flipside (6-8)
- FIRST Lego League (3-8)
- FIRST Tech Challenge (6-8)
- Credit Recovery Network (9-12)
- Evening High School (12)
Click here to learn more.
Summer Learning Programs
- PreK Summer Program (for students enrolled in SPPS's PreK Program during the 2022-23 school year)
- Summer Stars (K-4)
- Language Immersion & Culture (K-4)
- Power Scholars Academy (K-4)
- Children's Defense Fund (CDF) Freedom School (K-8)
- Environmental STEM Program (3-8)
- Summer Quest (5-8)
- Experiential Credit Recovery (9-10)
- Session One/Session Two Credit Recovery (9-10) & EL Language Support
- Session One: EL Language Development (9-12)
- Session Two: EL Levels 1 & 2 Writer's Workshop
- Session One/Session Two: Credit Recovery Intensive (11-12)
- Session One/Session Two: Credit Recovery Network (9-12)
Registration for Summer Learning Programs 2023 begins March 15, 2023.
Programs fill up fast! Applying by April 15, 2023 will increase student's chance of getting into their first program of choice.
Enrolling late? No worries. Some of our programs have unlimited space.
Programs start June 26, 2023.
Click here for program descriptions and other important details.