¡Hola Hola! At Benjamin E Mays IB World School, students are learning conversational Spanish in every grade level. As we move into spring try including these Spanish words and phrases into your conversations with your child:
- Hace buen tiempo – It’s nice out
- Hace sol – It’s sunny out
- Primavera – Spring
- Lluvia – Rain
***In Spanish the letter ‘h’ is silent and ‘ll’ is pronounced like a ‘y’***
Dear Parent or Guardian,
My name is Margaret Carlson and I will be teaching your child Spanish at Benjamin E. Mays this year. I have been teaching at Benjamin E Mays since 2014.
I have a BA in Spanish and am dual licencsed to teacher Spanish K-12 and ESL K-12.
I started teaching in 2010 as a 5th and 7th grade ESL teacher in south west Minnesota. I then came back to the Twin Cities and taught Spanish grades 2-7 at a Classical Charter school in Maple Grove.
I will be teaching using the method of Cultural Based TPRS (Teaching Proficiency Through Reading and Storytelling/ Total Physical Response Storytelling). TPRS is a kinesthetic and interactive method so your child will have many opportunities to be an active participant in his/her learning through song, dance, movement, drawing, acting, etc.
Did you know...
There are many benefits of learning a second language?
Some of the researched benefits of learning a second language are as follows:
- Benefits academic progress in other subjects
- Narrows achievement gaps
- Benefits basic skills development
- Benefits higher order, abstract and creative thinking
- Enriches and enhances cognitive development in early education
- Enhances a student's sense of achievement
- Helps students score higher on standardized tests
- Promotes cultural awareness and competency
- Improves chances of college acceptance, achievement and attainment
- Enhances career opportunities
- Benefits understanding and security in community and society
My email is email@example.com and my number is 651-744-4058 if you have any questions or concerns.
I look forward to teaching your child this school year and I hope to stay in contact with your throughout the year to discuss your child’s progress.