Welcome to the AVID program at Harding High School
AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
AVID's mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college and career readiness and success in a global society.
AVID has always believed in the importance of setting all students up for every aspect of future success.
For many students, that path includes a traditional college route; however, in many other instances, students choose other routes such as trade school, certification, military, or directly entering the workforce.
Regardless of a student’s ultimate path to a career, AVID can support the development of rigorous academic preparedness, student agency, and opportunity knowledge.
A student will be better prepared for college and career, which is core to the mission at AVID.AVID is a college preparatory program to help students, especially those in the academic middle, succeed in rigorous courses and prepare for entrance into post-secondary education. AVID students work to become leaders in their communities and society. AVID shows students how to work successfully with teachers, take effective notes, use organizational skills, and work collaboratively, preparing for high school and post-secondary success.
What is AVID...
- Harding’s AVID program prepares students in the academic middle for college and career readiness.
- HHS students must apply and obtain an interview in order to be eligible for acceptance into AVID. Applications for fall are due in March and interviews are in April and May of each year. Students joining mid-year must still complete an interview.
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
- AVID is in 48 states and 16 countries.
- AVID students must be in at least 1 accelerated course in order to remain in the program.
- AVID students must maintain a "C" average with no D's or N's in order to remain in AVID.
- AVID has a proven track record of bringing out the best in students and closing the achievement gap.