Family Engagement Information & Links
Because parental support is essential to our students' education, the teachers and staff at our school work to create an environment that is open and inviting to parents. Parents are welcome to accompany classes on field trips, help out in the classroom during events, and volunteer in other ways or areas of the school. It is our hope that parents see these volunteer opportunities as a stepping stone to further involvement in their child's education and development.
We also encourage you to connect with your teacher about your student's education and school day. Be aware of how we do things at Dayton's Bluff and learn ways you can support your student's academic progress.
If you are interested in volunteering or learning more about Dayton’s Bluff, see the Saint Paul Public Schools volunteer guide at www.spps.org/Volunteer.html or contact our school office for more information.
We encourage all parents to support their student’s education at Dayton’s Bluff Achievement Plus Elementary School. If you would like to visit your child’s classroom during school without prior notice to the teacher, please do the following:
- Report to the main office and get a visitor badge.
- Please wait while office staff contacts the teacher.
- Withhold any conversation you may have for a teacher to non-instructional time. Dayton’s Bluff is making sure that we provide your child with high quality instructional practices. Therefore, we would appreciate it if you would withhold your conversations with teachers during the learning process. We ask that you make an appointment to talk with the teacher before or after school, or during their lunch or prep time. At least 24 hours advance notice is customary.
- Be respectful of student instructional time and work time.
- Only three observers are allowed in a classroom at a time.
- Do not engage in dialogue or ask classroom teachers questions, unless they initiate it.
- Excessive visits or disruptive behavior will result in a conference with the building administrator.
*Please note that classroom visiting is not allowed during testing. Please check the school’s newsletter and/or website for testing dates.
Celebrations are held throughout the year at Dayton’s Bluff. From Open House at the beginning of the year to several school-wide family events throughout the year, student achievement and success are highlighted. Individual classroom celebrations in Reading, Writing, and Math are also held for students to present their completed pieces of work throughout the school year.