Welcome to Nokomis Montessori - North Campus
Our school is based on the Montessori method: Students learn at their own pace in multi-grade classrooms, independently cultivating their interests and natural abilities. Teachers help students choose their work in carefully prepared, peaceful environments; students use beautifully designed hands-on materials to practice and understand skills and concepts. Teachers are Montessori certified and use the Montessori philosophy to guide instruction. Nokomis has an active PTO that provides many opportunities for families to be involved each year with community-building activities such as the Harvest Festival, Hmong New Year, Family Art Night and Book Exchange, and a Spring Fun Fair.
Classrooms are organized into three levels and students attend school with different age groups:
- Children's House classrooms have Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
- Elementary 1 classrooms have grades 1,2, and 3.
- Elementary 2 classrooms have grades 4 and 5.
Students stay with the same teacher and peers for two to three years. The Montessori teaching style and classroom organization also has a positive effect on the school learning environment and student behavior.
Montessori Education is a method of learning founded by Dr. Maria Montessori. Nokomis Montessori is one of five Public Montessori Programs in the Saint Paul Public School district.
- All classroom teachers are Montessori certified providing the school community with a common philosophy and structure.
- Nokomis has a high stability rate for both students and staff.
- Nokomis provides a strong writer’s workshop and reader’s workshop curriculum. Students participate in small reading groups providing opportunities for students to work at their own instructional level.
- Enrichment and extended learning opportunities are incorporated into the Montessori curriculum for our gifted and talented students. Enrichment activities include, for example, literacy/reading groups, writer’s workshop, and science fair projects.
- We are using a collaborative model of ELL service with our students. ELL teachers provide instruction to students learning English as another language.
- Students participate in Physical Education, Technology, and Science specialty classes on a rotating basis.
- ALC Extended Day classes meet twice a week to provide additional academic support for our students.
- Parent involvement opportunities include PTO, many volunteer opportunities, and frequent school-family events.
- The school is peaceful and attractive.
The Montessori method has been tested and proven successful throughout the world for seventy years.
- Concerning Your Child
- Children are challenged at their own pace.
- Children are free to choose their work within limits.
- Children of varying ages work together in the same classroom, stimulating both academic and social growth.
- The method seeks to develop the whole child socially, mentally and physically.
- The child is encouraged to become an independent learner. It is the child’s natural aptitude for learning that is tapped and cultivated.
- The Classroom
- The Montessori classroom is a joyous place to be. It is geared to the child’s natural development and the child has the unique opportunity to fulfill his/her potential.
- Individual materials permit a varied peace and accommodate many levels of ability. The materials isolate the learning task for the child so that s/he can master the concepts.
- Each exercise has a control of error that allows the child to correct his/her own errors.
- The exercised are the tools of learning and make abstract ideas concrete.
- Through the use of materials, the child will develop her/his coordination, attention to detail and good work habits.
Transportation Area: A, C-East
Enrollment Pathway: Nokomis North → Your Community Middle School → Your Community High School
Nokomis Montessori North Campus
985 Ruth Sreet North
St. Paul, MN 55119
Phone: (651) 744-7440