Hello and welcome to the Koom Tes: Helping Hands Volunteer Program page!
Studies have shown that having volunteers in a classroom creates an even more successful learning environment. Phalen Lake Hmong Studies Magnet is living proof that this is true!
Volunteers and tutors are needed Monday-Friday during the regular school hours, 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Volunteers and tutors will also be needed for our summer school program! Please contact Phalen Lake directly for more information about dates and times of summer school.
Koom Tes: Helping Hands Volunteer Program is a volunteer program that focuses on literacy skills. However, we are open to those who can help students in Math, Science, Art and any other special interests too!
What Do Our Volunteers Do?
- One-on-One help with Reading, Writing and Math
- Classroom/Small Group support during Reading, Writing and Math Workshops
- After School Program homework assistance
- After School Program activities support
- Create positive relationships with our students that boost their self-confidence
- Have fun!
Our volunteers also help out with special events like the Open House and Spooky Math Night.
(Dates vary and are usually in the evening. Ask the Volunteer Coordinator for more information.)
Koom Tes is open to the community. We welcome Service Learning Projects, Work-study, Clinical/Field Experiences and volunteering for self. These are a few of our community partners:
- America Reads through the University of Minnesota
- Century Community College
- Reading Partners (www.readingpartners.org/volunteer)
- LSS Foster Grandparents
- Century College
- St. Catherine University
Are you a community organization and would like to be a community partner? If so, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator and become part of the Phalen Lake community!
Are you interested in being a volunteer? Check out our online Volunteer Application here,
Any questions? Please feel free to call or email the current volunteer coordinator at 651-744-2947 or 651-744-2948. You can also email Neftali Ramirez at firstname.lastname@example.org