Welcome to Pre-K!
The Pre-Kindergarten program provides preschool education for children the year before kindergarten to prepare them for school success. Classes focus on teaching children to :
- See themselves as self directed learners
- Develop reading, writing and math skills
- Work well with other children and adults
- Develop a love and appreciation for learning!
Up to 20 children are enrolled in each class with a licensed teacher and a full time teacher's assistant.
Children are enrolled for a full school year, five days a week, in the mornings or afternoons.
Morning class time: 9:30-12:00 p.m.
Afternoon class time: 1:30- 4:00 p.m.
the Pre-Kindergarten Program is open to children who are:
- Four years old by September 1st and
- Living in Saint Paul.
Enrollment priority is given to children who are:
- From families with low incomes (eligible for free or reduced-priced meals at school), or
- English Language Learners, or
- Enrolled in Early Childhood Special Education
To apply call the Saint Paul Student Placement Center (651)632-3760 for an application and information about the enrollment process.
Meet the teacher
Hello! My name is Mrs. Matzke (formally Ms. Lynch)
This will be my second year teaching Pre-K at Groveland Park Elementary. I have also taught pre-k at Randolph Heights, and 6th grade at Como Park. I earned my bachelors degree in elementary education and early childhood education at Winona State University in 2006, and am currently enrolled in a masters program at Concordia University for a degree Autism Specturm Disorders. My newest goal is to embed multiple sensory experiences and hands on learning for all students. I love to explore all aspects of teaching, especially multiple needs, however teaching early childhood is my true love.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions!