Welcome to Pre-K!
The Pre-Kindergarten program provides preschool education for children the year before kindergarten to prepare them for school success. Classes focus on teaching children to :
- See themselves as self directed learners
- Develop reading, writing and math skills
- Work well with other children and adults
- Develop a love and appreciation for learning!
Up to 20 children are enrolled in each class with a licensed teacher and a full time teacher's assistant.
Children are enrolled full days, five days a week.
Full Day class time: 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
the Pre-Kindergarten Program is open to children who are:
- Four years old by September 1st and
- Living in Saint Paul.
Enrollment priority is given to children who are:
- From families with low incomes (eligible for free or reduced-priced meals at school), or
- English Language Learners, or
- Enrolled in Early Childhood Special Education
To apply call the Saint Paul Student Placement Center (651)632-3760 for an application and information about the enrollment process.
Meet the teacher
Hello! My name is Mrs. Matzke.
I have been teaching in the St. Paul district since 2007. Along with teaching pre-k at Groveland I have also taught pre-k at Randolph Heights and 6th grade at Como Park. I earned my bachelor's degree in elementary education and early childhood education at Winona State University in 2006, and completed my master's degree in Autism Spectrum Disorders in 2015.
I love the energy and enthusiasm that 4 and 5 year olds bring into the classroom and believe that students learn best when provided fun, unique, and hands on experiences. My goal is to make your child's first school experience a great one!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.