Speech and Language Class
My name is Ms. Henry. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist at Chelsea Heights Elementary for 12 years and for 20 years in Saint Paul Public Schools. I also see students at Maternity of Mary - Saint Andrews. Before working in Saint Paul, I provided services in medical and school settings with both children and adults throughtout the USA as a traveling speech-language pathololist. My educational background includes a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Science and Disorders from University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point and a Master's Degree in Speech Language Pathology from Marquette University.
I enjoy living and working in the Como Park area because of the wonderful neighbors and beautiful park amenities within walking distance. I take advantage of the outdoors by kayaking, walking/hiking with my dog, and biking. I also enjoy attending art fairs, cultural events, and listening to a variety of music. Although I am originally from Wisconsin, my family lives all over the USA. I typically spend any vacation time traveling with my family which includes spending time with my three college age neices.
I feel blessed to work with the students, families, and staff at Chelsea Heights Elementary! We are a school and community of educators, parents, extended family, and children that belive is working together to help all students reach their potential! As a teenager, I was first inspired to help children communicate when I learned about the life of Helen Keller. Therefore, I will share one of my favorite quotes from Hellen Keller. "The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must by felt with the heart."
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child's communication skills please feel free to contact me or your child's classroom teacher. I support children in the following areas:
1. Articulation Skills: The ability to pronounce speech sounds clearly while talking.
2. Receptive Language Skills: The ability to understand directions, stories, and questions.
3. Expressive Language Skills: The ability to express your needs and ideas with appropriate vocabulary and sentence structure.
4. Fluency Skills: The ability to express your needs and ideas without struggling to get the words out.
5. Voice Skills: Students that need voice services tend to have chronic hoarse voice quality due to vocal nodules on their vocal cords. Students with a history of cleft palate may need services for the tone of their voice.
Contact Information: Barbarag.email@example.com or 651-238-8790
Stuttering Resources for Parents
Use this link to find out how to help your child with stuttering.
Use this link to find free and paid apps for communication skills.