Cherokee Heights Elementary Attendance Policy
8:15am: First Bell/Doors Open/Breakfast
8:30am: Second Bell/Class starts
*Students are considered tardy if they arrive after the second bell.
If your child will not be in school, the parent/guardian must excuse their absence:
- Call the Main Office at 651-293-8610
If no one is available to take your call, you must leave a detailed phone message. Please include the following in your message:
- Child’s Name
- Child’s Teacher
- Reason for Absence: (for example, sick, doctor’s appointment)
- Provide a written excuse. Your note must include:
- Student Name and Teacher
- Parent/Guardian signature and date
- Date of Absence
- Reason for Absence
*Written excuse or phone call must be received within 1 week of absence*
IT’S STATE LAW:
Acceptable Excuses/Excused Absences:
- Doctor’s appointments
- Religious holidays
- Extreme family emergency (for example, death in family, house fire, etc.)
Unacceptable Excuses/Unexcused Absences:
- Staying home to babysit
- Missed the bus
- Needed at home
- Excessive absences for being sick without a doctor’s verification
- Too cold outside.
Unexcused Attendance Procedures:
- After 3 days of unexcused absences, a phone call or attendance alert letter is mailed to inform guardian of unexcused absences and documented.
- After 5 days of unexcused absences, guardians with their student will be referred to the Ramsey County Truancy Intervention Program (FTIP) for an informational meeting with the County Attorney regarding the attendance policy.
- After 9 or more days of unexcused absence, guardian and student will be referred to the Ramsey County School Attendance Review Team (SART)
*All of these steps are monitored and recorded by the Cherokee Heights Attendance Committee
*All absences that are not excused within one week will be considered unexcused and will fall into the unexcused attendance procedure
ILLNESS AND SENDING YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL
Keep your child home if:
- he/she has a fever of 100 degrees or more during the previous evening or night or in the morning.
- has vomited or had diarrhea during the night or in the morning.
- has a rash that may be caused by a disease or if the cause is unknown, check with your family physician before sending the student to school.
If your child becomes ill while at school, staff will attempt to notify you. Please keep contact numbers up-to-date in case school needs to reach you. Parents or guardians are typically notified if:
- Fever is over 99.5 degrees
- Vomiting has occurred
- Recurring bouts of diarrhea
- Head Injury at school
If your child will not be in school, you must excuse their absence:
Call the Main Office at 651-293-8610