Our days are filled and move fast in first grade at Farnsworth. We establish a routine quickly and start developing the important learning skills that serve us every day. We read, write, solve problems, and yes, we ponder what's in the sky and beyond. First grade is a point of departure on a discovery quest where we learn to become students of the universe.
Our First Grade classrooms implement a strong standards based curriculum including:
- Reader’s Workshop
- Writer’s Workshop
- Everyday Math
- Social Studies
- Science Activities--STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Aerospace and Math).
- Aerospace and Aviation
We explore the sky and classify its objects; begin to discover rocketry; learn about the space shuttle and how it works; contemplate the surface of the moon; and learn about Neil Armstrong.
- Additional instruction
- Music, Physical Education, and Computer.
- Library-each week, students go to the library to listen to stories and check out books.
- iMac computer lab-students learn application basic computer skills to complement what is taught in the classroom.
- iPad used as an instructional resource
- Book Buddies with upper grade students.
- Field Trips include a planetarium visit, a visit to the Children's Museum in the spring, and a field trip to Holman Field at the end of May.