Department of AVID at Highland Park Senior High School
WELCOME to AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) at Highland Park Senior High School.
What is Avid...
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an elective designed to support and assist selected students with college and career preparation. The program goal is that every student reaches their potential, both as a student and as a citizen, and that they understand their college and career options.
- students must apply and obtain an interview in order to be eligible for acceptance into AVID. Applications are due in March and interviews are in April of each year
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
- AVID is in 48 states and 16 countries
- HSPH AVID graduates obtained over $6m in offered scholarships last year alone
- You must be in at least 1 accellerated course in order to remain in the AVID program
- AVID students must maintain a "C" average with no D's or N's in order to remain in AVID
- HPSH AVID graduates are attending post secondary instutitions from Howard to Stanford to Hawaii
What AVID isn't...
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.