Dear Third Grade Families, We would like to welcome you to the 2016-17 school year! We are looking forward to working with you and your child. We have many exciting things planned within all areas of curriculum throughout the year.
- We send a READING LOG home on the first school day of every week to be filled out and signed by the parent and the student. It is to be returned on the first school day of the following week. The reading goal is 150+ minutes of reading time per week while reading a book at his/her level.
- We send home a weekly math and reading SKILLS sheet on the first school day of every week to be completed and returned on the last day of that same school week.
- We send home MATH HOMEWORK almost every night. The homework goes with the skill taught during math that day.
- We write our SPELLING WORDS in our planner on the first day of every school week. Your child is expected to study their words every night as there will be a test at the end of each week.
Our classes follow the CARES and Responsive Classroom models of discipline. This means that we always try to preserve your child’s dignity even if they have to be disciplined. It also means that we are building a community and we have to learn to think of its members to be a positive part of the classroom. If a student needs redirection, the order is as follows:
- 1st redirection = a warning
- 2nd = a “Take a Break” and the child comes back when he/she believes they are ready
- 3rd = a “Take a Break” and the child rejoins the group after the teacher and student discuss the problem together.
- 4th = Buddy room and a call home
- 5th = CARES room
If your child is taking too many breaks and/or not returning homework, they are forfeiting Friday Fun and possibly a fun event at the end of the month.
IF your child makes one visit to the CARES room, he/she forfeits a field trip or fun event at the end of the month.
Updates, games you can play and activities you can try at home can be found at our website. Together, we can help your child prepare for fourth grade and beyond!
Ms. Lawson email@example.com
and Ms. Emmons firstname.lastname@example.org
Third Grade Daily Schedule
8:15-8:45 Breakfast/Morning Meeting
8:45-9:05 Social Studies
1:14- 1:30 Recess
2:30-2:45 Math Review
2:45 Prepare for Dismissal