Hello, my name is Mrs. Jessica Lance and I am your child’s 2nd grade teacher in Room 1219. I am looking forward to working with all of you and helping your child succeed in 2nd grade.
I have been a teacher for 21 years; teaching Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade as well as Elementary Technology.Most of my teaching experience was in Weslaco, Texas where I taught Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade for twelve years. Also, I taught 2nd grade and Elementary Technology at a charter school in Northeast Minneapolis for two years. After that I taught Kindergarten for one year at Island Lake Elementary in Shoreview. Finally after 15 years, I starting teaching with the Saint Paul Public Schools at The Heights Community School where I taught 3rd grade for 5 years. The past year and a half I have been a 2nd grade teacher here at Mississippi Creative Arts School.I earned my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education from Concordia College in Moorhead, MN. I also earned my Master’s degree in Curriculum and Technology from the University of Phoenix – Online. Finally I earned my Educational Specialist degree, which is for my Administrator degree, from Concordia University - St. Paul.
I use the Responsive Classroom approach in our classroom. The general idea behind this program is that the social curriculum used with our children is just as important as the academic curriculum. Students will learn to be Cooperative, Assertive, Responsible, Empathetic, as well as being able to demonstrate Self-control. The Responsive Classroom approach stresses the importance of community, and that as a member of this community there are certain expectations. Together, we have already developed rules, expectations and procedures that are in place in our classroom.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel to free to contact me at 651-293-8840 or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. The best time to reach me is from 10:40-11:20.
We are committed to using the “Responsive Classroom” curriculum that can help build a classroom and a school into a learning community where high social and academic goals are attained. The Responsive Classroom approach is built upon six central components that integrate teaching, learning, and caring in the daily program.
The Six Key Components of the Responsive ClassroomThe Responsive Classroom is based on sound principles of child development theory and on a commitment to teach the social skills of CARES: Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy, and Self-Control.The components of classroom practice that teach these skills are:
- Morning Meeting: provides students daily opportunity to practice greeting, conversation, and activities, and motivates them to meet the academic challenges of the day ahead.
- Rules and Logical Consequences: are generated, modeled and role-played with students, and becomes the cornerstone of classroom life.
- Guided Discovery: Discover learning materials, areas of the room, and routines – this is a technique that moves students through a deliberate and careful introduction to new experiences. There is no assumption that students already know how to do something before they begin.
- Classroom Organization: provides interest areas for students, space for student-created displays of work, and an appropriate mix of whole-class, group, and individual instruction.
- Academic Choice: is for all students every day, in which they must take control of their own learning in a meaningful way, both individually and cooperatively.
- Assessment and Reporting: an evolving process of mutual communication and understanding.
Second Grade Schedule
9:15 – 9:30
Breakfast in the classroom
9:40 – 9:55
9:55 – 10:15
10:15 – 10:30
10:35 – 11:25
Specialist: Drama, Music, Art, Dance, Tech (Science)
11:30 – 11:40
11:40 – 12:30
12:35 – 1:05
1:05 – 2:10
2:15 – 2:30
2:35 – 2:45
2:45 – 3:35
3:35 – 3:50
3:50 – 3:55
Book Mobile – every other Tuesday 10:00 – 10:15
Every child needs to read for at least 15 minutes a day/night, therefore your child will bring home a reading log on Mondays and it needs to be returned on Fridays.
This reading log will include a genre section (the type of book that was read), so please be sure your child circles the genre after they read.