Notification and Consent for Reimbursement

  • Introduction:

    Federal law (34C.F.R. 300.154) ensures that medical assistance pays for IEP health related services. Minnesota law (MS 125A.21) requires school districts to seek reimbursement from insurers and similar third parties for Individualized Education Program (IEP) health related services. IEP health related services may include assessments/evaluations and services for speech/language/hearing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, nursing, personal care assistance, assistive technology devices, interpreter services, special transportation, and mental health. This Minnesota law helps school districts access more funding for students with disabilities. To comply with the law, Saint Paul Public Schools is required to send you this notice/form.


    • The District must obtain consent to seek reimbursement for IEP health related services from parents, or legal guardian. The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) has indicated that consent may be obtained through the school district consent form, or the Minnesota Health Care Program (MHCP) enrollment/re-enrollment form for medical assistance or MinnesotaCare (MA/MC)

    • We will not bill your private insurance. If you have a combination of MA/MC and private insurance we will receive a statewide denial from MDE, or your insurance company, before billing MA/MC.


    • Saint Paul Public Schools will access Medical Assistance (MA) or MinnesotaCare (MC) for reimbursement for IEP health related services that a child receives. There will be NO cost to the family and this will NOT affect the MA/MC coverage, including TEFRA, waivered programs, service limits or thresholds. The District may not require a family to sign up for MA/MC.

    • Parents, or legal guardians, may ask for a copy of the records disclosed to the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) and the United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

    • A consent may be revoked, in writing, at any time without affecting a child’s services. Revocation is not retroactive.

    Additional information:

    We appreciate your support and cooperation. If you have questions, you may call the Third Party Reimbursement Office 651-767-8191.