Welcome to Music Class!
Sing, Say, Move, Play!
In our Orff-Schulwerk inspired music class, we learn by singing, reciting, moving, and playing both games and instruments!
Our main foci are:
- Orff instruments (ex. xylophones)
- Rhythmic speech
- Responding to music we hear and make
- Identify/describe/compare/contrast/evaluate use of musical elements
- Connecting to music we hear and make
- Identify/describe/compare/contrast how music connects with our memories, emotions, and experiences
- Identify/describe/compare/contrast how music is used in different cultures, places, and time periods
- Musical foundations
- Elements of music (rhythm/duration, melody/pitch, form, instrumentaion/timbre, texture/harmony, dynamics & tempo)
- Notation: rhythm, solfege, traditional
- Technology for notation, creation, and recording
For a detailed scope and sequence which shows all grade-level standards and foundations, see the SPPS Scope and Sequence.
What is Orff Schulwerk?
In Orff Schulwerk classrooms, children begin with what they do instinctively: play! Imitation, experimentation, and personal expression occur naturally as students become confident, life-long musicians and creative problem solvers. The Orff approach to teaching is a model for optimal learning in 21st Century classrooms.