Regular screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and ongoing self-monitoring throughout the day is an effective prevention strategy to quickly identify signs of illness and help reduce exposure.
SPPS students, staff and visitors must conduct their own symptom screening prior to coming to school/work, again when arriving at any SPPS facility, and throughout the day. Similar to testing for COVID-19, screening is a snapshot in time of particular risks at that moment. It is imperative that everyone monitor their health throughout the day for changes and respond accordingly.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
fever greater than or equal to 100.4° F, new-onset and/or worsening cough, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell OR at least 2 of the following: sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, muscle pain, excessive fatigue, new onset of headache, new onset of nasal congestion or runny nose.
Answer the following four questions each morning before sending your child to school:
- Did my child recently test positive for COVID-19?
- Does my child have any of the COVID-19 symptoms listed above?
- Does my child live with someone who is being tested for COVID-19 or showing symptoms of COVID-19?
- Did my child have close contact (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with someone who recently tested positive for COVID-19?
If you answered YES to any of the above:
- Do not send your child to school, report your child’s absence, and contact your child’s healthcare provider
- Report your child’s symptoms or exposure using the online SPPS COVID-19 Reporting System
Students who become sick with COVID-19 symptoms during the school day will be isolated (under supervision) until they can be picked up. Sick students will be required to wear a
surgical mask when able. It is important during this pandemic that you pick your child up as soon as possible when they are sick so we can limit the risks to other students and staff and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Please be sure your school has up-to-date contact information so we can promptly reach you. Please follow the recommendations provided to you and your family.
Precautions that you and your family take in and out of school are important in slowing the spread of COVID-19 and reducing risks to others. Thanks for doing your part.