Return to Headlines
Winter Weather Reminders for Staff
Dear SPPS Staff,
As we head into the winter weather season, we’d like to remind you about our weather policies.
SPPS follows state statute that allows districts to offer e-learning days due to inclement weather.
The statute defines an e-learning day as: An unscheduled remote learning day; a school day when a school offers full access to online instruction provided by students' individual teachers due to inclement weather.
SPPS may call an e-learning day if:
- Wind chills are forecasted to be -35 or colder at 6 a.m. OR
- Snow makes it too difficult for our students and staff to get to school
The superintendent also reserves the right to close school due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, if necessary.
E-learning days are considered regular work days. All staff are expected to work remotely if they can, or in-person if required. Staff who are unable to perform their duties remotely (e.g. lack of internet access) can report to their regular work location. Buildings will be open at least during school hours.
Specific work expectations for school-based and non-school based staff will be communicated in the coming days by department leaders. Please watch for an email with more information.
Staff should get in the habit of taking essential equipment home every day to be prepared for the possibility of an e-learning day. It is our goal to make decisions on “cold weather” closings with enough time for staff and families to prepare. Due to transportation and the size of our district, SPPS does not do late start/early dismissals.
SPPS will send a robocall, text message and email if an e-learning day is called. Please make sure your contact information is up to date in PeopleSoft so you receive these messages.
- Building administrator/designee will report in person to monitor for any students being dropped off, etc.
- Discovery Club will be closed.
- Community Education programs, including Adult Basic Education, may be held on a case-by-case basis
- High School (students/parents should contact the head coach or athletic director directly for detailed information)
- Contests - may continue as scheduled at the discretion of the Site Administrator with approval by Districtwide Athletics Administrator and in consultation with Transportation
- Varsity Practices - may continue at the discretion of the site administrator
- No practices may occur during school hours.
- Middle School athletic activities (practices and/or contests) are canceled
- Permits will be canceled, but exceptions can be reviewed with the Permits Team