Data Security Notice & Student Password Changes (Aug. 24, 2023)
Technology Services is aware of a recent data security incident that may have resulted in unauthorized access to and acquisition of student data (names and email addresses). SPPS has worked with the FBI, Minnesota IT Services and the Minnesota Department of Public Safety to investigate the incident.
At this time, we are unaware of any fraudulent use of this data. Additionally, SPPS has no evidence that passwords, personal email addresses, physical addresses, or sensitive information such as social security numbers or payment card information was compromised as a result of this incident. Families will receive this information via mail and other means in accordance with state statute.
Student Password Changes
In a proactive measure to protect student data, and in recognition of recent school district data breaches in Minnesota and nationwide, all students will receive a new, unique password effective Friday, September 8. All students will be required to log in with the new, unique password. Families will receive communication about student password changes later this month.
What schools can expect:
- All students will sign in with a new, unique password on Friday, September 8.
- School clerks and iPad managers will receive a PDF of all student login sheets the last week of August. (Each sheet will show current student passwords as well as what the new password will be. Password sheets will be organized by homeroom teacher for easy distribution.)
- Elementary schools will also receive a file of Clever badges as an optional resource to aid in Clever/Seesaw login.
- All PreK-12 families can look up student passwords in the Infinite Campus portal by navigating to More > Student Login Information. Families will receive instructions on how to do this via additional district communications.
Resources for educators and staff:
- Staff can access Teacher Activities to look up or reset student passwords.
- In late August, Teacher Activities will show the password that will be made effective on September 8.
- Staff and families can contact the Service Desk at any time for password assistance. Call (651) 603-4348 or email email@example.com.