PTA (Parent Teacher Association) next meeting Tuesday, December 10, 6:00-7:00.
Please join us for our PTA general meetings, the calendar for the 2019-2020 school year is below. At PTA we plan events and review school goals for the benefit of all students. We welcome all parents and staff members.
During our Tuesday, December 10 meeting (6:00-7:00pm), we invite you to take a closer look at the Mays SCIP (School Continuous Improvement Plan). The SCIP is our roadmap to academic success. It outlines action steps that the school will take to improve literacy, math, IB and school climate. At PTA, we will look at how the SCIP has been implemented so far this year. Please join our discussion.
We will also begin planning our March Mays Moves event.
The Mission of the PTA
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
The Purpose of the PTA
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
Mays PTA (Parent Teacher Association) Meetings 2019-2020
Tuesday, September 10
Tuesday, December 10
Tuesday, January 14
Tuesday, April 14
Tuesday, May 12
Fall Festival, Friday, September 27, 5:30-7:30
Mays CAFE, Thursday, October 24, 5:30-7:30
Mays CAFE, Thursday, January 23, 5:30-7:30
All meetings are held in the Red Atrium from 6:00-7:00. A light dinner and chidcare provided.
We had a wonderful start to our new school year at our September 10 meeting. We began with general introductions and discussed ways to be involved at Mays, including: upcoming Take Your Parent to School Days, the Fall Festival, and Mays CAFE. We also discussed the Mays open door visiting policy. It was pointed out that you do not need to undergo a background check if you are volunteering in the classroom and supervised by school staff. The school does require background checks for people who volunteer on a regular basis (weekly) or for chaperoning field trips when volunteers will be supervising students. We finished up the evening by writing Hopes & Dreams letters to our students which were delivered to the classroom the next day. What a thrill to receive a letter from mom/dad/grandma at school! This was a great way to share with teachers what we hope for our kids. Please join us at the next PTA meeting Tuesday, Deccember 10, 6:00-7:00 and at Fall Festival and the Mays CAFE in the coming months.
Below you will find a recap of the 2018-2019 school year. This provides a good idea of the PTA's role at Mays.
Our last general PTA meeting of the year was Tuesday, May 22. We reviewed the School Continuous Improvement Plan (SCIP) for Mays for the 2019-2020 school year and talked about Track & Field Day and Mays Moves. We look forward to welcoming new parents at the start of the next school year.
During our April PTA Meeting, Principal Morris presented the proposed 2019-2020 Benjamin E. Mays IB World School budget. PTA members were pleased to see that their were no cuts in staff, but concerned over the budget for classroom supplies, and food and transportation for events. PTA members suggested that teachers should reach out to parents throughout the year, letting them know what the classroom needs are. PTA members also suggested seeking donations. 3M and a couple of other organizations already supply classroom supplies and backpacks. Paper/copying is the biggest on-going supply need of the school.
During our January meeting we discussed and planned for the following upcoming events: Mays CAFE, National African American Parent Invovlement Day (NAAPID), and Mays Movie Night.
At our December meeting we looked at: What are we doing at Mays to reach our goals in reading, math, and school climate? We learned about SCIP implementation and provided feedback. Our SCIP (School Continuous Improvement Plan) states goals in math, reading, and school climate for Benjamin E. Mays IB World School. It also offers strategies to meet these goals. Please click on the presentation below for more information on the SCIP and it's implementation at Mays. If you have questions or comments regarding the Mays SCIP, contact Karen Shanahan at (651) 325-2492 or email@example.com. We value parent feedback.
Durig our September meeting we reviewed the Mission of the Mays PTA and talked in depth about the gifts we bring to our school community. This provided feedback for PTA involvement with the Mays CAFE on September 25. Mays CAFE is one of the core ways PTA partners with Benjamin E. Mays IB World School to bring parents, teachers, and the community together.
At the May 15, 2018 meeting, the following people were elected PTA Officers for a two year term May 2018 through May 2020: Jolene Mason (President), Tayler Johnson (Vice President), Karen Shanahan (Treasurer), Lindsay Walker (Secretary). Thank you to EVERYONE who participates in PTA at Mays! Please stop by our table at the Meet & Greet back to school event Thursday, August 30 (4:30-6:00) to find out more about PTA.
The PTA is a vital part of Mays and sponsors the following events:
- Meet & Greet (to ease transition into the new school year)
- Fall Festival (a celebration of community)
- Mays CAFE (two CAFE events during the year to focus on partnership between home and school)
- NAAPID - National African American Parent Involvement Day (parntership building)
- Scholastic Bookfair (oportunity for parents and teachers to add to their home/school libraries)
- Movie Night (a community celebration in conjunction with the Postive Behavior Interventions & Supports team at school)
- Staff Appreciation
- Mays Moves and other health initiatives at school
We welcome all parents and staff members!