SPFE Negotiations Update
Aug. 22, 2019
To date there have been three negotiations sessions, each has been held at SFPE offices, located at 23 Empire Drive. All sessions are open to the public. The fourth session was scheduled to be held on Wednesday, August 21, at 360 Colborne beginning at 3:30 p.m.; however SPFE canceled that meeting on Tuesday, August 20 saying they needed time to respond to the District’s stance on the health insurance situation.
Additional sessions are scheduled on the second and fourth Thursdays in September from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Those sessions will be held at SPFE.
During the first session, SPFE put forward two proposals:
- Student Mental Health Supports
- Additional Duties for EAs and SCSPs and Interpreter Preparation Time
During the most recent session, held on Thursday, July 25, SPFE put forward four additional proposals:
- National Board Certification
- District Sponsored Educator Licensure Programs
- School Redesign and Election to Work Agreements
- Advancing Teaching and Learning
The District is carefully reviewing all of these proposals.
The District has presented two proposals to SPFE thus far. They are:
- District Proposal 1 - Revisions to the Compensatory Leave provisions for EAs and SCSP
- District Proposal 2 - Revision to the timing of the Interview and Select process for Teachers.
In addition, the District provided a response to Union Proposal 1 - Student Mental Health. The response highlighted the comprehensive efforts the district already undertakes in this area and recommended the creation of a joint subcommittee to further clarify roles and responsibilities for the various resources across the District currently addressing these important issues.