COVID-19 Guidance for Summer Programs
The following COVID-19 prevention guidelines that will be in place for Summer Learning Programs, Discovery Club, Crossroads and other SPPS summer programs beginning Monday, June 14.
SPPS is following state guidance for face coverings/masks for Summer Learning Programs. Wearing a face covering/mask is recommended, but not required for all students and staff. Students should not be disciplined for not wearing a face covering/mask.
Childcare settings, Head Start and Pre-K programs: Children 5 years old and younger are still required to wear a face covering/mask until 70 percent of Minnesota residents 16 years old and older are vaccinated or until July 1 (whichever comes sooner). We will communicate with staff and families when changes are made to the Governor’s Executive Order.
Students and staff are required to wear face coverings/masks on school buses. Assigned seating on school buses will not be required.
SPPS will continue to create space for social distancing of 3 feet or more to the greatest extent possible.
SPPS will keep students and staff in small groups that stay together as much as possible throughout the day, and limit mixing between groups as much as possible in common spaces (during lunch, bathroom breaks, arrival and dismissal, free periods, recess).
Individual schools/programs will determine if meals will be served in cafeterias and/or classrooms.
- Assigned seating is not required for grades PreK-4 in the cafeteria and/or classroom
- Assigned seating is required for grades 5-12 in the cafeteria and/or classroom
Field trips will be allowed for Summer Learning Programs. Field trips to outdoor destinations are encouraged. Field trips to indoor venues must follow the venue’s face covering/mask policy.
Assigned seating in classrooms
- Assigned seating is not required for grades PreK-4
- Assigned seating in classrooms is required for grades 5-12
- Parent/guardians are welcome inside school buildings (we ask that families limit their visits to 15 minutes when possible)
- Outside visitors are allowed by appointment only
Quarantines have been reduced from 14 day to 10 days in all circumstances. Quarantines for summer 2021 programming (through July 30, 2021) will be determined as follows:
- Grades PreK-4: Entire class will be quarantined when they have spent more than two hours indoors in the same class or cohort with a person that was on-site while infectious, regardless of close contact
- Grades 5-12: Students and/or staff will be quarantined when they have spent more than two hours indoors in the same class or cohort in close contact with a person that was on-site while infectious (within 6 feet of a person that tested positive)
- If assigned seating was not in place, then the entire classroom or lunch table will be quarantined
- Administrative buildings: Staff will be quarantined when they have spent more than two hours indoors with a person that was onsite while infectious (within 6 feet of a person that tested positive)
- SPPS will continue to contact trace through July 30