Information about the Leadership Change Process at Como Park Elementary
Dear Como Park Elementary Community,
We recently informed you that Principal Christine Vang has accepted a new leadership position in our district as the principal of Central High School. I want to thank her for her investment and dedication to our Como community. We wish Christine all the best in her new endeavor!
As we move forward in selecting the next principal of Como Park Elementary, we want to make sure you are informed and involved. Fortunately, we began accepting applications in January for candidates interested in becoming a principal in our district.
Applicants were required to submit the following:
- Resume - Including work history with dates, titles held, participation in organizations and key responsibilities of positions held.
- Letter of Intent - Why they aspire to be a leader in SPPS and how their education and experience prepared them for this role.
- Leadership Experience Essay(s)
- Describe a time when you developed and implemented an initiative resulting in student achievement gains (the example could range in scope from an initiative that you implemented in your classroom to a school-wide program).
- Describe your experience in the last three years, demonstrating how your actions positively impacted school culture and climate. In your response, please use the STAR format (Situation/Task, Action, and Results).
After submitting their applications, candidates participated in eligibility pool interviews in which they had an opportunity to interact with current SPPS principals, department leaders and Human Resources staff.
Next, we will conduct school-level interviews with a small team, including two Como Park Elementary parents, two Como staff members, myself and a member of our Human Resources staff. This interview will take place in late May.
The Assistant Superintendent will work with your school community to select the parent/community and staff representatives and two site-specific questions to be included in the site-level interview. Our goal is to be able to announce the new leader to the staff and community by early June.
Finally, once the new leader of Como Park Elementary is selected, we will share a simple survey with families and staff. This online survey will serve as a great opportunity for the school community to share what you believe the most important priorities are for your new leader and identify what you are most proud of about your school.
Thank you for supporting Como Park Elementary School.
Dr. Joshua T. Delich