Information about Leadership Change Process at Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary School
Dear Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary Community,
We recently learned that Principal Niceta Thomas has accepted a new position for Roseville Area Public Schools after serving as the principal of Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary for the past 3 years. I want to thank her for her investment and dedication to our students and families in Saint Paul and wish her all the best in the future!
As we move forward in selecting the next principal of Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary, we want to make sure you are informed and involved.
Applicants were required to submit the following:
- Resume - Including work history with dates, titles held, participation in organizations and key responsibilities of positions held.
- Letter of Intent - Why they aspire to be a leader in SPPS and how their education and experience prepared them for this role.
- Leadership Experience Essay(s)
- Describe a time when you developed and implemented an initiative resulting in student achievement gains (the example could range in scope from an initiative that you implemented in your classroom to a school-wide program).
- Describe your experience in the last three years, demonstrating how your actions positively impacted school culture and climate. In your response, please use the STAR format (Situation/Task, Action, and Results).
After submitting their applications, the candidates applications will be reviewed and qualified candidates will be invited to a school-level interview.
Next, we will conduct school-level interviews with a small team, including two Obama Elementary parents, two Obama Elementary staff members, myself and a member of our Human Resources staff. This interview will take place on Thursday, May 6, 2021.
Principal Thomas will work with your school community to select the parent/community and staff representatives and two site-specific questions to be included in the interview. Our goal is to be able to announce the new leader to the staff and community by the end of May.
Finally, once the new leader of Obama Elementary is selected, we will share a simple survey with families and staff. This online survey will serve as a great opportunity for the school community to share what you believe the most important priorities are for your new leader and identify what you are most proud of about your school.
Thank you for supporting Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary.