Help Wanted: Group Assistants Needed for Discovery Club Encourage neighbors, retirees, college students or others to come work in a safe, fun, nurturing environment that supports children's learning and development. The ideal employee partners with group leaders to help children participate in a variety of academic enrichment, recreational and cultural activities that informally support learning and social development. Life and social skills, such as cooperation, teamwork, and problem solving are fostered in a caring and accepting environment. Contact Nicole Jansma to apply or for questions (email@example.com) or 651-744-4281.
Free Family Fun Nights - Save the Dates Mark you calendars for two free family fun nights coming to HM this winter. The first is a movie night at 6pm on Thursday, January 24. Come with the whole family for a movie and snacks! The second is BINGO night! Bring friends and family for an exciting night of bingo playing on Thursday, February 28 at 6pm.
Thanks for Give to the Max Donations A total of $5,758.28 was given to support our many enrichment programs at our school such as vocal and band music, special requests made by teachers, speakers, and all of our community-building events throughout the year. The Business Partnership Committee is so grateful for all of your support this year. If you have any ideas for a business partnership or would like join our committee, please contact Karla Lauerman Cummins at firstname.lastname@example.org or Carrie Dorfsman at email@example.com. Thank you to all of the staff, families, and community members that generously donated to the Give to the Max day for Horace Mann.
Horace Mann Students Interviewed by MPR Last Tuesday a few first and second graders at Horace Mann were interviewed by “MPR News with Angela Davis.” The story included a conversation with the editor of Minnesota Parent magazine and a retail expert from Business Insider in New York. You hear our students introduce themselves, then later share the gifts they love, and then the gifts they didn’t like. The students were great. The recording of the show can be found on the MPR News website, https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/12/14/davis-from-the-mouths-of-babes-what-toys-to-buy-this-holiday-season
Puppet Show a Big Hit in Primary Grades A local author, Dawn Pape, presented a puppet show about bees and pollination that is based on her books. Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade attended the puppet show. Students were surprised to learn that not all bees are yellow and black. The Mason Bee in the puppet show is actually green. Dawn Pape was able to bring the puppet show to Horace Mann for free because she is working with a grant from the MN DNR.
Horace Mann School Spiritwear for Sale Looking for some new kid’s gear or a holiday gift? Lands' End now has updated options with the Horace Mann dancing child logo. We are hoping to add hats soon. They have frequent sales this time of year, but our school choices are available throughout the entire year.
- Go to landsend.com. Click "school", then click "shop by school".
- Enter our school number 900183542 or search by school name Horace Mann.
- Choose a gender and from the dropdown grade/status choose "Spiritwear".
- You may create an account or just order as a guest.
- You may order over the phone: 1-800-963-4816.
- You may call/visit the Lands' End Outlet (612-861-4100), 820 W 78th Street, Richfield MN 55423.
Lost and Found Moved to Door 5 We are moving the lost and found to the playground entry by the parking lot. This is door 5. The plastic bins will be on the window ledge.
Junior Achievement for a Day All students and classrooms will participate in a day-long seminar put on by Junior Achievement. Students will learn about communities, businesses, personal finances, entrepreneurship, or other topics. This special event is put on through the support and assistance of Junior Achievement and generous volunteers from CliftonLarsonAllen. It helps us to accomplish some of the standards for Social Studies. This event occurs January 11.
You are Invited to the PTA Meeting The next PTA meeting is Tuesday, January 8 at 6:30pm in the Library. Come hear:
- City Council Member Chris Tolbert
- About the great things in Kindergarten this year from Angela Jalonack, Cody Brunelle, and Mary Simmons.
- About family Involvement activities from the school (NAAPID, parent seminars), our enrollment for next year, and application deadlines from Principal Litwin.
- About all the great events and activities on which PTA is working.
Follow Horace Mann School on Social Media
- Facebook- Follow Horace Mann School @SPPSHoraceMannSchool.
- Follow the PTA group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/432804370448748/
- Twitter- Follow Principal Litwin @SPPS_PrinLitwin
Friday, December 21-Tuesday, January 1
- No School- Winter Break
Wednesday, January 2
- Classes Resume
- 3:00-4:45pm EDL
Friday, January 4
- 12:45-2:45pm Bakken Museum visits 4th Gr classrooms
Monday, January 7
- 3:00-4:45pm EDL
Tuesday, January 8
- 6:30-7:30pm PTA Meeting in the Library
Wednesday, January 9
- 9:15am Tour for Prospective Families
- 3:00-4:45pm EDL
Friday, January 11
- 9:00am-2:00pm Junior Achievement in a Day for all grades
Saturday, January 12
- 9:30am-2:00pm School Choice Fair at RiverCentre
Perspective submissions are due by 7:30am on Thursdays. Submissions after 7:30am will be included in the next edition.