No School Monday, May 27
Horace Mann Carnival is next week!! Please join us Friday, May 31 from 5-8pm for the Horace Mann School PTA "Street" Carnival! It's a fun event for the whole community to celebrate the end of the year.
Volunteer! Thank you to those who have signed up! We still have some spots to fill to run a game or help with clean-up. Volunteers Online signup link: It's fast and you do not need to register an email address.
Donate! Drop-off in the box outside the office
- Bottles of 20 oz drinks (juice, sports drinks, flavored waters)
- Used children’s and young adult books and movies
- Plastic or paper grocery bags
- Treats and baked goods to make the cake walk fun! Please drop off in the teacher’s lounge on Thursday, 5/31 or Friday, 6/1. We are asking for cupcakes, cookies, brownies (no nuts please). This year we will set up plates with assorted treats for winners to select.
Come hungry! We will have food trucks selling meals and snacks:
- The Purple People Feeder (burgers, hot dogs, cheese curds, fries) https://www.facebook.com/thepurplepeoplefeeder/
- Potter's Pasties (pasties) http://potterspasties.com/
- The J-Mobile (gluten-free, vegan, veggie tacos) http://www.jselbys.com/the-j-mobile
- Fro Yo Soul (frozen yogurt) http://www.fro-yo-soul.com/
It's a fun and lively evening and we hope to see you there!
4th and 5th Grade Musical, Annie, Premieres May 29 Our 4th and 5th graders, under the direction of Kevin Dutcher, have been working hard the last several weeks. They will present the musical on Wednesday, May 29 in the Gym.
9:15am School Concert (There is limited seating available for family members.)
7:00pm Family Concert
Field Day on Monday, June 3: Volunteers Needed Mark Castillo is planning and coordinating a Field Day for students on June 3.
- 9:15-10:35 Grades 3-5 (8 events, 10-minutes per event)
- 1:15-2:45 Grades K-2 (9 events, 10-minutes per event)
Volunteers will help run an event while the teachers supervise the students. We need 10 volunteers for each session. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Make sure your child has light clothing, running shoes, water (label bottle with name), and sunscreen.
Bring in Your Box Tops Collection Before the End of the School Year Help us reach our goal for fundraising via the Box Tops program by bringing in your Box Tops that you have collected over the course of the school year. Have your children submit their collection to their classroom teacher or drop in the main office box prior to June 4.
Thus far this school year we have raised almost $800 for Horace Mann - help us reach our goal of $1,000!
Chess Club Ends--Will Return Next Fall Thank you to Valentin Povarchuk, Laura Vander Wegen, Mariana Tennyson, Megan St. Dennis, and especially the University of Saint Thomas Chess Club volunteers for resurrecting our chess club. It was a successful several weeks with over 30 students attending. Look for Chess Club to continue in the fall. If you are interested in volunteering, we’d love to have you. Email email@example.com.
Free Summer Meals at Horace Mann School This summer hot lunches will be available at Horace Mann School and Randolph Heights Elementary to children 18 & under) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and cold lunches will be available Fridays. Children do not need to be enrolled in anything to get the free lunch. They can simply come in and grab a lunch. Lunch at Horace Mann will be at 11:30am and at Randolph Heights it will be at noon.
Watch the School Patrol Parade On Cable View the entire School Patrol Parade on Saint Paul Cable Channel 16 on May 26, 28, and 29 at 11:30am and 6:30pm.
PTA Seeks Volunteers for the 2019-2020 School Year Interested in getting more involved next year? The Horace Mann PTA is always looking for new volunteers, committee members, and committee co-chairs! The PTA is specifically seeking a Co-Communication Board member and both co-chairs for the Volunteer Coordinator Board position. Additional Committee chair needs include: Family Volunteer Service Chair (or 2), Yearbook (or 2), Scholastic Book Fair (or 2), Silent Auction (or 2), Spring Plant Sale (or 2). If interested, please contact Karla Lauerman Cummins at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nikki Mechelke at email@example.com.
Great Gatherings Spots Still Available Visit Great Gatherings today to sign up.
Here's what's available in May/June:
- May 30: Cornhole Tournament at Summit Brewery
- June 1: Backyard Taproom
- June 1: 5th Grade and 1st Grade Book Buddy
- June 8: Mom's Stand-up Paddleboarding
- June 11-13: 3-Day Li'l Spikers Boys Volleyball Camp 3-5th graders
- June 12: 5th Grade Moms Night Out
- June 14: Outdoor Family Movie Night
- June 20: Canoe the Mississippi River
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Horace Mann School on Social Media
- Facebook- Follow Horace Mann School @SPPSHoraceMannSchool.
- Follow the PTA group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/432804370448748/.
- Twitter- Follow Principal Litwin @SPPS_PrinLitwin.
Monday, May 27
No School - Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 28
7:30-8:30am No Chess Club (see article)
9:00-10:30am 4th & 5th Gr Annie Dress Rehearsal in the Gym
3:00-4:10pm Spring Community Education Classes
Wednesday, May 29
9:15am 4th & 5th Grade Musical “Annie” for the School in the Gym
12:00-2:00pm Kdg Field Trip to the Ordway
7:00pm 4th & 5th Grade Musical “Annie” for the School in the Gym
Thursday, May 30
3:00-4:10pm Spring Community Education Classes
Friday, May 31
9:15-12:30pm 1st Gr Field Trip to Cedarvale Lanes
12:00-2:30pm Kdg Field Trip to Gibbs Farm
5:00-8:00pm Horace Mann School PTA Street Carnival
Monday, June 3
(tentative) 9:15-10:35am Field Day for Grades 3-5 (8 events, 10-minutes per event)
1:15-2:45 Field Day for Grades K-2 (9 events, 10-minutes per event)
Tuesday, June 4
10:00am-12:00pm Thompson Class Field Day at Highland Park Community Center
Wednesday, June 5
9:00am-12:45pm 5th Grade Field Trip to Target Field
9:45am-12:30pm 4th Grade Field Trip to Zero Gravity, MoundsView
1:15-2:00pm All School Closing Assembly in the Gym
Thursday, June 6
9:00am 5th Grade Closing Ceremony in the Gym
9:30am-2:00pm 2nd & 3rd Grade Field Trip to Como Zoo
Friday, June 7
9:00am All School Movie Event 1
1:00pm All School Movie Event 2
Perspective submissions are due by 7:30am on Thursdays. Submissions after 7:30am will be included in the next edition.