Final 2018-2019 Perspectives
Last Day of School is June 7, 2019
Lost and Found The lost and found bins are full to the brim. We will move them to the hall outside the office. We will leave them sit until June 21 at 8:00am. Then the items will be packed up, cleaned, and donated to charity. Please come and claim your child’s items!
What’s Coming Up This Summer?
- Although construction is done, there are still many items left on the punch list. This summer there should be workers completing lots of little projects.
- Summer programming returns to Horace Mann. Our Discovery Club (DC) provides child care during the summer months. Community Education will also host a series of classes and camps for Pre-K through 5th grade.
- The school office is closed from June 17-August 2. We open again August 5. Our summer office hours will be 7:00-3:00pm June 10-14 and August 5-23. We will have new school hours starting August 26 for the school year. They will be 7:00am-3:30pm. Principal Litwin will be available throughout the summer by email to arrange appointments or respond to questions.
Staff Changes for 2019-2020 There are nine changes for staff members this year. We welcome 4 new staff members for next year.
We congratulated Colleen Fridlund (5th Gr), Debbie Thompson (4th Gr), and Renette McParland (Social Work) on their retirements. We congratulated Alan Sollenberger (Band) on his second retirement.
We said “Good Luck” to Traci Davis (TA), Veng Lor (EA), and Jacob Blum (Counselor) who are moving into other positions in the school district.
We said “Best Wishes” to Katie Graves (3rd Gr) and Cody Brunelle (Kdg) who are leaving to pursue other opportunities in education.
- Mark Lindskoog will move from ELL to 3rd Grade.
- Carrie Asmus returns to our staff to be our Counselor. We will share her half-time again with Groveland Elementary.
- Bobbi Nguyen will join us as the ELL teacher. Bobbi taught ELL at Hamline and Battle Creek Elementaries. She taught 1st, 3rd, and 4th Grades in Saint Paul schools. She speaks English, Vietnamese, and some Chinese.
- Cori Boehm-Peterson will fill our half-time Social Worker position. Cori has been a School Social Worker and Trauma Coach. She has worked at both elementary and middle schools. She has been a Child Protection worker and a Crisis Responder.
- Kirstin Larson will join us as a new Special Education Teacher. We are very excited to have two Special Education teachers next year. She has licences for Specific Learning Disabilities and Emotional & Behavioral Disorders. She has taught at several elementary schools in Saint Paul, a middle school in Georgia, and a day treatment school in Saint Paul.
- Sarah Johnson will fill our Kindergarten opening. Sarah taught Kindergarten at both Webster Magnet and Highland Park Elementary. She has been a content coach and Peer Assistance & Review coach. She is an active learner and presenter.
- Our PTA is actively seeking and recruiting a licensed Band teacher. If you have any leads, please email email@example.com.
- We have one Regular Education Teaching Assistant position left to fill.
Free Summer Meals at Horace Mann School This summer hot lunches will be available at Horace Mann School and Randolph Heights Elementary to children 18 & under) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and cold lunches will be available Fridays. Children do not need to be enrolled in anything to get the free lunch. They can simply come in and grab a lunch. Lunch at Horace Mann will be at 11:30am and at Randolph Heights it will be at noon.
Carnival Thank You The carnival had a beautiful evening, a great turnout and lots of kids having fun! Thank you to everyone for coming and making it fun! Thanks to everyone who donated things – the book sale was a success, kids loved winning drinks in the ring toss and we had enough treats for the cake walk to last through the event! Special thanks to all who volunteered to set-up, clean-up and run games!
We would like to get your feedback on the event. Please answer some questions in this survey https://forms.gle/gHMZFWCwjjRbp7Mt6.
Field Day Thank You Many thanks to the 30+ parent volunteers, who helped with Field Day, this week. Without your help, we would not been able to have a Field Day. The weather cooperated, and the kids appeared to have a great time out there.
End of Year School Patrol Information All equipment needs to be returned to school for the summer. There are two options for this:
- After patrols finish their routes on Friday, they can return to school and drop off their flag and vest in the flag bin on 2nd floor east, the red floor.
- They may return their equipment to school on Monday before 4pm to the Gym office.
Patrol Information for Next Year All new and returning patrols for the 2019-2020 school year will meet with Mr. Castillo in the gym on Thursday, August 29 at 2pm. All information for the year will be discussed. Equipment will be passed out. There will be important information shared about the new start time and about the new option for bussing south of Ford Parkway.
This training is just for the patrols. Look for information for walkers on the school website and in the handbook in August.
For parents of patrol members who live south of Ford Parkway, please email Mr. Castillo to let him know if your school patrol member will walk to school next year or take the new bus.
Physical Education Fitness Scores Shared Students in grades 4 and 5 recently took their Spring Fitness Tests. Their results, along with their Fall scores, were passed out to them June 3-7. If you did not see them, please email Mr. Castillo.
Message from Ms. Fridlund Big Thank You to the whole Horace Mann School community!
I have been privileged to teach my favorite subject, Math, at Horace Mann for the last 9 of my 40 year teaching career. My mom inspired me to love Math through games and activities as I was growing up. I hope to have passed on that love of Math to my students in honor of my mom.
Thank you to everyone - staff, students, families, and community members. I truly appreciate the kind words and messages. They really mean the world to me. My plan is sit on my lawn chair and enjoy reading for awhile, take in the big ships in Duluth, and slowly decide what my next chapter will be. Rest assured that the Horace Mann community will always be in my heart. Thank you for sharing your children with me!
Message from Ms. Thompson As my time at Horace Mann comes to a close, I want to thank the entire community for your years of partnership. From the first day I arrived in my classroom, I have been fueled by the students, parents, families and staff members that energize the hallways. Your emotional and financial support to education seems to know no bounds. It has been a pleasure to be a part of the Horace Mann community.
I am looking forward to spending more time with my grandchildren, continuing my travels, and fishing to my heart's content. Wherever life leads me, I will carry fond memories of my time at Horace Mann.
Message from Ms. McParland I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to the Horace Mann community of students, parents, and staff. I couldn't have asked for a better school to finish my career with St. Paul Public Schools. I have absolutely loved working with the students on social emotional skills over the years. I have also been so impressed with this caring, supportive, and generous community of people. Thanks so much for all of the nice comments and well wishes. In retirement, I plan to travel, play tennis, and be open to whatever adventures come my way.
Great Gatherings Spots Still Available Visit Great Gatherings today to sign up.
Here's what's available in May/June:
- June 8: Mom's Stand-up Paddleboarding
- June 11-13: 3-Day Li'l Spikers Boys Volleyball Camp 3-5th graders
- June 12: 5th Grade Moms Night Out
- June 14: Outdoor Family Movie Night
- June 20: Canoe the Mississippi River
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Horace Mann School on Social Media
- Facebook- Follow Horace Mann School @SPPSHoraceMannSchool.
- Follow the PTA group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/432804370448748/.
- Twitter- Follow Principal Litwin @SPPS_PrinLitwin.
Monday, June 10-Friday, August 30
- Summer Vacation
Friday, June 21
- 5:00-7:00pm 2019-2020 Kindergartener Meet Up at our Playground. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Saturday, July 27
- 10:00am-12:00pm 2019-2020 Kindergartener Meet Up at our Playground. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, August 25
- 3:00-5:00pm 2019-2020 Kindergartener Meet Up at our Playground. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Thursday, August 29
- 5:00-5:45pm Meet the Teacher Night for families last name L-Z
- 5:45-6:30pm Meet the Teacher Night for families last name A-K
Perspective submissions are due by 7:30am on Thursdays. Submissions after 7:30am will be included in the next edition.