Dress Code Policy
Highland Park Middle School Dress Code Policy
Students have the right to choose their manner of dress and personal grooming unless:
- it presents a clear danger to the student's health or safety
- it causes an interference with school or work
- it creates a classroom or school disorder
Students are responsible for wearing clothes that are appropriate for school. To maintain a safe learning environment, student dress cannot be a health and/or safety hazard, obscene, sexually explicit or discriminatory.
The following is not permitted:
- Clothing that displays images or language that is racist, sexist, profane, or otherwise derogatory
- Clothing that displays images or language depicting/suggesting drugs, alcohol, vaping, tobacco or other products that are illegal for minors.
- Clothing that displays images or language that creates a hostile or intimidating environment based on any protected class or consistency marginalized groups.
- No blankets. Classrooms can be chilly in winter. Dress in layers.
- Undergarments must be covered at all times.
- Clothing must cover the front, back and sides.
- Footwear is required. (No slippers).
SPPS Student Dress Code
- The principal or the principal's designee shall mandate minimum standards or cleanliness or neatness.
- There shall be no other restrictions except as previously stated, on any student's hairstyle or manner of dress unless the hairstyle or manner of dress presents a clear and present danger to the student's health and safety, causes an interference with work or creates classroom or school disorder.