Our school newsletter contains links, highlights, and important information and dates. It is published on Fridays and sent through email. If you need or prefer a paper copy, please contact our school office. Otherwise, you will receive a brief phone call on Friday afternoon announcing a new edition in your email inbox.
Let me know your suggestions and ideas for articles by Thursday each week at 8am.
Tunnel to Start the School Year
Thanks to our families and staff for our input. We recognize that some our students may be anxious or uncomfortable about walking through a shouting tunnel of adults. We also recognize that some of our parents/guardians may not be able to attend. We are going to make some revisions to our opening day plan.
All students and staff and family members will gather in the cafeteria on Tuesday morning. Doors will open at 7:00am. Students may get their breakfast at 7:05am. We will wait until all buses have arrived. Then I will obtain everyone's attention and make two announcements.
- I will demonstrate how we cheer for the students in a tunnel by using sign language and I will talk about how some students might be uncomfortable with a loud tunnel. I will encourage any students who are uncomfortable to get with their teacher. (Teachers will lead these students through the gym around the tunnel.)
- I will recognize and honor all family members who are unable to attend. I will remind students that even though they are not physically present that they are thinking about us right now.
Then I will have the classes begin to move through the tunnel and head to class probably about 7:25am. We will follow a similar plan for Kindergarten, except we will let all the big kids get to class first.
Coffee & Donuts from PTA
After you have said "Good-bye" and silently cheered the start to school, come on out to the patio by the cafeteria. Enjoy a treat compliments of our PTA!
What happens if I need to change my child's plan to go home?
Families must notify the school no later than 12:00pm if you are changing your child's plan. We prefer you to email both your child's teacher and our clerk, email@example.com. We are going to be very strict about this rule because students will not be going home to older siblings.
Help Wanted: Band Teacher
This is a part-time position on Mondays after school and Wednesdays all day and after school. An interested candidate may also be able to extend hours at other schools. We are looking for a dynamic person who loves band music and is willing to teach beginners. If you are interested or know of someone who might be interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Wanted: Tutoring Coordinator
This is a part-time, hourly position that has flexible hours. We are looking for a people person who is organized and willing to learn. Experience with tutoring skills and in scheduling or project coordination is preferred, but not required. If you know of someone interested in working in a great environment, please encourage them to contact Jim Litwin at 651-293-8965 or email@example.com.
Help Wanted: Teaching Assistant
The qualified candidate will enjoy working with and supporting children. The candidate must have a college degree, credits towards a degree, or pass the ParaPro exam. The position may include supporting student academic, social, physical, and behavioral needs. Please direct questions or interest to Jim Litwin at 651-293-8965 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nutrition Services Moves to SchoolCafe
Saint Paul Public Schools has launched a new service called SchoolCafe for lunch payments, free and reduced-price meal applications, menus and allergen information. Families should visit www.schoolcafe.com/spps to create a new account and to:
- Make payments (replaces PayPams)
- View menus including ingredients, nutrition and allergen information (replaces NutriSlice)
- Complete the Application for Educational Benefits/Free or Reduced-Price Meal Benefits
Things to note:
- Funds in previous PayPams accounts have been transferred to SchoolCafe.
- Parents will need their student's IDs to add a student to an account. Student IDs are the same as the PIN numbers that students enter on the keypad in the cafeteria.
Click the links below for step-by-step instructions on how you can create a SchoolCafe account.
Discovery Club is Hiring - Spread the Word
Discovery Club is looking for teaching assistants (TAs), educational assistants (EAs), teachers and other school staff who are interested in adding an hour or two onto their workday by working for Discovery Club after school.
Discovery Club is especially interested in hiring staff who work at schools that are released at 2 p.m. or 3 p.m.
Interested staff can apply at www.spps.org/Domain/10687 or email Steve.Egbert@spps.org.
Hiring additional staff helps reduce waitlists so families in our community can get the childcare they need. Please help us recruit by including this message in your next staff email.
Follow Horace Mann School on Social Media
- Facebook- Follow Horace Mann School @SPPSHoraceMannSchool.
- Follow the PTA group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/432804370448748/.
- Twitter- Follow Principal Litwin @SPPS_PrinLitwin.
Monday, September 2
- No School - Labor Day
Tuesday, September 3
- 7:00am Doors open for first day of school for Grade 1-5
- 7:30am Classes begin
- 1:00pm Choice 1: Kindergarten Class Meetings (in place of conferences)
- 5:00pm Choice 2: Kindergarten Class Meetings (in place of conferences)
Wednesday, September 4
- 7:30am Choice 3: Kindergarten Class Meetings (in place of conferences)
- 2:30pm Choice 4: Kindergarten Class Meetings (in place of conferences)
Thursday, September 5
- 7:00am Doors open for first day of school for Kindergarten
Friday, September 13
- 8:00am All School Assembly for students and staff in the Gym
Perspective submissions are due by 8:00am on Thursdays. Submissions after 8:00am will be included in the next edition.