Perspectives - Final 2016-17 Edition
- Click this link to go to our invitation page on SignUp.
- Enter your email address. (You will NOT need to register an account on Sign Up)
- Sign up! Choose your spots - Sign Up will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Class Photos The PTA would like to thank Riley Conway for taking all of the Kindergarten through 4th grade class pictures and Scott Walker for taking the 5th grade class pictures this year. Check out Scott's webiste at lakelightphotography.com if you are looking for photography for other events. We greatly appreciate their talents and willingness to take the pictures to continue this tradition. As gift from the PTA, each student was given a copy of their class picture.
School Patrol News All new and returning patrols for next year, mark your calendars for our back-to-school meeting and training. We will meet in the gym on Thursday, August 31 from 2pm-2:45pm. All current patrols, a reminder that all flags and vests need to be returned, and not kept over the summer. You may either complete your route on Friday and return your flag and vest to school, or you may do this on Monday. Thanks to all the patrols for a great year. And thanks to their families for supporting their efforts.
Your child will be bringing a bag home to collect Box Tops in over the summer months. Please continue to support Horace Mann's fundraising efforts and continue to clip and collect Box Tops this summer. You can submit them this fall when students return to school.
- Shop as you normally would. Various food items, toiletry items and cleaners all have the box tops logo. For a list of participating products, please visit Box Tops for Education’s website (http://www.boxtops4education.com/)
- Clip your box top. Each box top for education is worth 10 cents for our school. Some products have more than one box top on it.
- Bring in your box tops when school starts up again in the fall. We will place a reminder in Perspectives again as our fall submission deadline approaches. Simply drop off your Box Tops for Education in the school office or send them to school with your child. We will coordinate mailing them in to support the school.
You may still turn-in your collection of box tops that you perhaps accrued over the school year. Many thanks in advance for supporting Horace Mann by taking the extra time to clip those box tops and sending them to school. If you have any questions please contact Heather Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drink Pouch and Go-Go Squeeze Recycling! Parents have been recycling Drink Pouches and Go-Go Squeeze (and similar) pouches at Horace Mann for 5 and 2 years respectively! Make sure you save yours over the summer and turn them in in the Fall! We have kept over 7,000 drink pouches, and over 1,200 Go-Go squeeze pouches out of the waste stream! And made $130 for Horace Mann in doing so!! Great work kids!
If anyone is interested in taking over the recycling stream (Girls Scouts? Boy Scouts? A team of families?), it is a minimal commitment on a weekly basis. Please email email@example.com and she can let you know the details. Thanks!
S-Term (or Summer School) Info There are still openings for summer school. To register or to get more information, go to https://www.spps.org/summer.
Summer Field Trips The school year is over--but the classroom isn't the only place your youngster can learn new things. Here are suggestions for family field trips that are fun and educational.
Ballpark Batter up! Attend a local ballgame at Target Field, CHS Field, or the Ford Fields, and ask each family memer to choose a batter and calculate the batting average for that game. Your child will need to track the player's number of at-bats and hits. Then, your youngster will divide the number of hits and at-bats. Whose player gets the highest average?
Airport Explore the science of flight by visiting the MSP or St. Paul Downtown Airport (check first to see their visitor policy) or going to a viewing point. Beforehand, your child can read up on airplanes in a library book or online. Then, watch planes take off and land, and have your child point out parts he or she recognizes, such as the jet engines, wings, cockpit, and landing gear. Your youngster could time how long the plane rolls down the runway before takeoff or how long it takes to stop once it lands.
Farm A local farm is a great place for your child to discover where her food comes from. Find one that's open to the public, and take a tour. Your youngster could see farm machinery, learn what crops grow in our area, or watch cows being milked. Idea: If possible, purchase eggs or farmgrown vegetables, and have your child help cook them.
-2014 Resources for Educators, a division of CCH Incorporated
Important School Dates
- 7:30am-3:00pm Tuesday, June 13-Friday, June 16
- Closed Monday, June 19-Friday, August 4
- 7:30am-3:00pm Monday August 7-Friday, August 25
- 7:30am-4:00pm Starting Monday, August 28
S-Term Session 1
- June 19 – July 13 (No school Tuesday, July 4)
S-Term Session 2
- July 17 – August 10
Thurs, Aug 31
- 5:00-5:45pm Families with Last Name A-K Meet the Teacher Night
- 5:45-6:30pm Families with Last Name L-Z Meet the Teacher Night
Tues, Sept 5
- 1st Day of School for Grades 1-5
- Kindergarten Conferences by Appointment
Wed, Sept 6
- Kindergarten Conferences by Appointment
Thurs, Sept 7
- 1st Day of School for Kindergarten
If you are interested in submitting an article to the Perspectives related to school events or activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before 8:00am on Thursdays. If your family requires a paper copy of the Perspectives, please send an email to email@example.com.